Hadleigh 11, Wymondham 31
Leaders Wymondham came through a tough test at Hadleigh to maintain their fine run of form.
The home side immediately set about using their pack to good effect and were 6-0 up after 18 minutes thanks to two penalties.
Wymondham gradually started coming more into the game and after good work by Chris Miller, Dane Canning, Dave Blake and Matt Ambrose the ball flashed down the backs to give Alex Brugger a good try in the corner which was unconverted.
Good work by Josh Mickleburgh, James Wyatt and Dave Martin earned the visitors a penalty, which was converted by Wyatt and a Hadleigh player was then penalised and Wyatt obliged again to bring an end to a pulsating first half with Wymondham just ahead at 6-11.
Hadleigh started the second half in determined fashion and were rewarded with a try in the corner which brought the match level at 11-11 after 44 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Wymondham regained the lead with another Wyatt penalty and then the ball was fed quickly down the line by Steve Simms, allowing Nick Ferns to finish the move with the try it deserved. This was converted by Wyatt to make it 11-21 after 55 minutes.
Then, after Steve Simms had found touch with a penalty inside the Hadleigh half, the line-out resulted in Dave Blake charging full tilt for the line and feeding Tom Masters, who was in good support, to score in the corner.
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 3 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 4 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 5 Report into woman's murder by jealous ex: 'Employers must do more'
- 6 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 7 Homes plan to be revealed for former infant school
- 8 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 9 Former village pub for sale as home
- 10 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
Late in the game a clever box kick by Alexander-Brown was chased well by Brugger and some great work in the loose by Chris Brown allowed the ball to pass down the backs to where Wyatt, entering the line from full back, finished the move off in style. This unconverted try was the last score and gave Wymondham a bonus point.
This was the toughest match so far in Wymondham's winning run and praise must be heaped on a game Hadleigh side who deserve to be near the top of the league on this performance.