- Credit: PA
A group that brings together the reigning world champions – and runners-up. Who can forget that awful final four years ago when Spain slugged it out with the Netherlands in a match that was more akin to a night out at York Hall than the grand finale of the so-called beautiful game.
Spain won 1-0, but for the puritanical among us there were no winners. It was an awful advertisement.
The Spanish at their best are mesmeric: it is almost total ball possession.
The Dutch are more expansive: but will coach Louis van Gaal's post-tournament departure to Manchester United affect them? They can be a cantankerous lot.
Sadly, it doesn't bode well for Chile and Australia who, all things being equal, will be battling with each other to avoid the wooden spoon.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 2 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 3 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 4 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 5 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 6 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 7 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 8 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 9 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 10 Out on the beat - we join police Covid patrol on the seafront
Manager: Vicente del Bosque
Star player: David Silva
Previous record: Holders
Summary: A team of artists, known for eroding the opposition's confidence. They do have a dark side: Sergio Ramos is easily their most uncompromising player. Lots of experience in the side: have they had their day?
Manager: Jorge Sampaoli
Star player: Arturo Vidal
Previous record: 1962 third place
Summary: Had a change of coach during the qualifying campaign when a sharp downturn in form saw Argentinian coach Claudio Borghi replaced by compatriot Jorge Sampaoli. Very attacking side.
Manager: Louis van Gaal
Star player: Arjen Robben
Previous record: R-up 74, 78, 2010
Summary: Three-time losers in finals, including the terrible advert for football four years ago against Spain. Cruised through qualifying – Germany were the only side on the continent to score more goals than their 34
Manager: Ange Postecoglou
Star player: Tim Cahill
Previous record: Group stages
Summary: Still relying on their experienced performers to get them through. Inconsistent in qualifying, which cost coach Holger Osieck his job in October after successive 6-0 defeats against Brazil and France.