Groat puts incident on the road behind him to win Norfolk PGA event
- Credit: Archant
Jason Groat put a worrying incident on the road to the back of his mind to record an impressive victory at the recent PGA pro-am at Marriott Sprowston Manor.
On the journey down to Norwich the car he was travelling in with team member Nigel Wagg was showered with concrete from a delivery lorry, smashing several windows.
Everyone in the vehicle emerged unscathed however and it was business as usual when the Denver Golf Centre professional got out on the course, with a one under par 70 leaving him two clear of his closest challengers.
The weather was ideal for the competition and the green staff had worked hard to set the course up perfectly for the annual visit from members of the PGA in Norfolk.
Caroline Grady (Bawburgh) finished second alongside Nic Cains (Swaffham) after both shot 72s while Joe Lambert (Mundesley) and Duncan Abbott (Gorleston) shared fourth position on 74.
You may also want to watch:
In the team competition Lambert's team blew away the competition by five shots after shooting a combined score of 128, which is 14 under par.
Leading teams: 128 Joe Lambert with Terry Radcliffe, Ashley Horne and Andy Horne; 133 Nic Cains with Dave Mead, Mike Byrne and Sandy Byrne; 133 Sean Brady (Sprowston) with Anna Devlin, Tom Payne & Chris Phillips. Nearest the pin winners: Les Grayston and Jon Hinton.
- 1 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 4 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 7 Secluded Broads farmhouse in almost 11 acres goes up for sale
- 8 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 9 Plans for seven new supermarkets in Norfolk - but where will they be?
- 10 BMW overturns in ditch after coming off A146
The PGA Norfolk of Merit series moves on to King's Lynn today. The overall positions after 11 of 14 events are: Ian Ellis (Great Yarmouth & Caister) 59, Nic Cains (Swaffham) 57, Chase Davis (Marriott Sprowston Manor) 51, Matthew Gardner (Barnham Broom) 37, Jason Groat (Denver Golf Centre) 28½, Mark Spooner (Bawburgh Family Golf) 26.
Meanwhile 24 past captains of King's Lynn Golf Club played for the Captain's Cup, which was presented by Jeff Staines, captain in 1982.
After the competition immediate past captain Kwai Li thanked all concerned for making the traditional event a success.
Bill Brice won the competition with 37 points and received his trophy from Maggie Clarkson, immediate past lady captain.