Greens hit visitors for six as leaders suffer surprise home defeat

Kurtis Callaby in the thick of the action during Swaffham Reserves' 5-1 win over Freethorpe in the A

Kurtis Callaby in the thick of the action during Swaffham Reserves' 5-1 win over Freethorpe in the Anglian Combination. Picture: EDDIE DEANE - Credit: Archant

Gorleston's Thurlow Nunn Premier Division title bid gathered pace thanks to another excellent win - and a shock home defeat for rivals Mildenhall.

The Greens kept the pressure firmly on the long-time leaders when they hammered Wivenhoe 6-0, with a first half hat-trick from Connor Ingram setting them on their way.

While that was going on Mildenhall were losing 2-1 at home to mid-table Saffron Walden, with their third defeat in sixth games giving real hope to the chasing pack. Felixstowe and Walton remain their closest challengers, cutting the gap to 10 points after a 4-0 win at Fakenham, but Gorleston are now in a position to overhaul them, standing five points further back but with no fewer than six games in hand.

The Greens never looked on Saturday back after Ingram had fired home the opener after just three minutes. The frontman had completed his hat-trick by the 33rd minute, with Keegan Middleton adding a fourth just before the break to put the hosts in complete command.Substitute Jack Garrod made it five just after the hour mark and completed the scoring late on.

Great Yarmouth Town put a poor display against Long Melford behind them by getting back to winning ways at Brantham. One goal was enough to settle the game, and it was a real cracker, with Mitch Forbes firing home an unstoppable volley in the 15th minute to get the Bloaters back on track.

You may also want to watch:

Kirkley and Pakefield had a disappointing day, going down 3-0 at third from bottom Ely City, while Thetford Town shared the spoils with Stanway Rovers.

All the drama at Mundford Road came in the final 15 minutes, with Town going behind and then equalising through Robbie Priddle before Cameron King saw his 84th minute penalty saved,

Most Read

Down at the bottom Swaffham Town lost again, but they could easily have taken something from their match at Ipswich Wanderers. They were unlucky to go behind on 73 minutes when a shot took a wicked deflection to wrong-foot keeper Dan Gentry but still almost came away with a point, with Mikey Thompson's shot being brilliantly saved.

In Division One promotion-chasing Diss Town's fixture at Leiston Reserves was postponed.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter