Green pull off Summer Cup giant-killing
SHORT MAT: A shock result in the Norfolk Summer Cup saw Division One giants Wymondham crash out on shots against Division Three side Hingham Green after the match finished level on points at 4-4.
Gordon Wilcox's Hingham triple pulled out all the stops to beat Andrew Stratton's triple 23-13 but Debbie Phillips' Wymondham triple beat John Higgs 14-12 to make it 2-2 on points at the interval although the 35-27 shots lead to Hingham was to prove crucial.
Stratton's triple performed better in the second half beating John Higgs 14-12 to keep Wymondham's hopes alive leaving Debbie Phillips' triple needing just a draw to see Wymondham through but Hingham skip Gordon Wilcox had other ideas. A great final bowl by Wilcox sealed four shots and a 15-11 win for Hingham giving the Division Three team a 62-52 shots win and a giant killing feat they will long remember.
The Norfolk County Cup draw has given Hingham a home draw against Sprowston and Cromer a home tie against Thurton in the two Preliminary Round matches.
County Cup holders Bob Carter entertain either Hingham or Sprowston in the First Round and Carter will be confident of progressing.
You may also want to watch:
Last season's runners-up Wymondham, Breckland League champions, are at home to South Norfolk League champions Hempnall in the match of the round that will catch the attention of short mat bowls followers.
Another top match is at Coltishall where the home side entertain Bure League rivals Hevingham. Thorpe Marriott, who reached the semi-finals last season, face a difficult trip to Bradwell on the November 1. Bradwell were unbeaten at home in the Thurne League last winter and could prove a tough nut to crack.
- 1 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 2 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 3 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 4 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 5 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 6 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 7 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 8 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 9 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 10 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
Bure League champions Kirby Bedon are at home to the winners of the Cromer against Thurton match. Woodbastwick face a long trip to Watlington but their greater experience should see them emerge victorious. Connaught A will have home mat advantage against Horsford Heroes and will expect to be in the Second Round draw but First Bus should be able to win away to Connaught B.