Great Yarmouth Town 4, Brantham Athletic 3

Glen Spooner's brace helped Great Yarmouth secure their first three points of the season against a previously unbeaten Brantham Athletic.

Spooner's goals, either side of a Spencer own goal and Roscoe's strike, helped the Bloaters overcome a late fightback by the away side in an entertaining game.

The outcome looked in doubt after Brantham took the lead within the first minute, Ben Green slotting the ball home after a lay-off from Grimwood.

It was just a blip from Yarmouth as they ended up dominating the first half with several chances being started by the midfield pairing of Miller and new signing Mills. After 15 minutes a floated ball found Vide, whose cross was scuffed by Roscoe with the ball falling to Mills again who played in Spooner, his shot trickled past the post after being saved by the goalkeeper.

Spooner got his first goal of the game three minutes later after cushioning Roscoe's far post cross into the net.

Yarmouth took the lead in the match in bizarre circumstances. Clark's cross from the left after 38 minutes initially looked wasted with no Yarmouth player in the box, but Ben Spencer slipped, allowing the ball to bounce off him and into the back of the net.

And the Bloaters doubled their advantage three minutes before half time. Page's ball over the top was perfect for Clark to roll back to Roscoe, to slot into the bottom corner.

Most Read

• Half-time: Great Yarmouth Town 3, Brantham Athletic 1

The second half started in the same way as the first – with Brantham scoring within the first minute, Mann rolling Gunn's cross into the far corner.

Brantham could have levelled things in the next minute after Jessup turned Blanchett's volley away for a throw, which was headed over the bar by Mann. The away side were firmly in control of the second half.

The visitors thought they had scored on the hour mark when a through-ball to Gunn was chipped over Jessup, but he failed to see the linesman raise his flag.

Instead, Yarmouth restored their two-goal advantage against the run of play five minutes later, Roscoe giving the ball to Spooner to slot away for his second of the game.

The away side were aggrieved, and were left further frustrated after being denied three times in quick succession, twice when shots from Mann and Blanchett were cleared off the line, and again on 79 minutes when Mann looked to have been fouled in the area – the referee motionless.

On 83 minutes Brantham had an open goal to aim at after a through-ball sent Lee Grimwood through one-on-one with Jessup, but pushed the ball too far round the goalkeeper and sent the finish into the side netting.

Brantham halved the deficit four minutes from time. Lowe's shot from the edge of the area was parried to Mann, who tapped in the rebound.

And with only one goal to find, Brantham attacked until the fourth minute of stoppage time, forcing Jessup into turning Bloss' volley over the crossbar. But Yarmouth held on to record their win.

• Yarmouth: J Jessup; J Page, D Baldock, A Ager (C), E Short; A Mills, J Miller (G Barnden, 64); F Vide, L Roscoe, J Clark; G Spooner. Unused Subs: S Steer, L Crux

• Brantham: R Bedingfield; J Gibbons, T Wray, A Bloss, B Spencer; B Green (L Grimwood, 67), D Grimwood (C), M Lowe, L Blanchett (S Webb, 81); O Mann, S Gunn. Unused Subs: D Pryne

• Attendance: 47