Great Yarmouth Town 3, Newmarket Town 1

Two goals in two first half minutes and a second half penalty secured Yarmouth's second win of the season against fellow relegated side Newmarket Town.

Goals from Aaron Hanks and Charlie McAra in two minutes, the former's maiden for the first team, along with a penalty from George Barnden secured a winning end of the season in a dominant performance.

Three changes was made to the side that faced Mildenhall, Micael Adamo and Barney Lawrence made returns, while Aaron Hanks was given a place in the starting lineup as reward for being the reserve's top scorer.

Yarmouth got off to the worst possible start conceding within the first three minutes, Joe Parr lobbing the keeper after the defence failed to deal with a bouncing ball.

Despite the setback Yarmouth soon took control of the game. Philip Watkins fired over after 13 minutes while 10 minutes later Aaron Hanks tested the keeper and George Barnden fired over the bar.

On 26 minutes Charlie McAra aimed a low cross to the near post, but in a crowded box Barney Lawrence poked the ball wide.

It was a matter of time before Yarmouth would find the back of the net, and they did so, twice in as many minutes.

Most Read

A lofted clearance from Micael Adamo allowed Aaron Hanks to break through the visitors defence and roll the ball under the keeper for his maiden first team goal.

Two minutes later Crux's over-hit cross found Charlie McAra who, from the byline, hooked the ball over his shoulder and into the far corner.

The confidence boost from the two goals transformed the Bloaters. On 34 minutes Leighton Crux tried, and missed, an acrobatic volley, while four minutes later Crux diverted a cross across the face of goal and wide with a diving header.

Yarmouth continued their dominance at the start of the second half, but Fernando Vide fired over the bar from 12 yards out after Charlie McAra and Aaron Hanks combined.

Charlie McAra hit a free kick onto the crossbar from 25 yards as the hosts continued to push for an increased advantage.

A Newmarket spell ten minutes into the second half threatened to level the scoreline, as Johnny Olive diverted Joe Parr's header goalwards from an offside position after good work on the right, and Parr volleyed a corner over the bar.

On the hour mark good combination work by George Barnden and Fernando Vide led to the former volleying a cross over the bar from 12 yards.

Three minutes later Aaron Hanks had a low drive roll wide and Andre Costa curled a shot wide of the upright.

A Newmarket throw fell to Issac Smith, but the striker forced a comfortable save from Ben Cudden, who was otherwise a virtual spectator for most of the game.

Yarmouth continued to press for a third goal but no player in yellow and black could divert home Charlie McAra's low ball across the face of goal.

With twenty minutes remaining Aaron Hanks was substituted for Marian Jobbagy, and the substitute had an immediate impact. After being found by Charlie McAra, Jobbagy had his run unfairly halted inside the box. George Barnden despatched the resulting penalty into the bottom corner.

Newmarket never looked like fighting back as Yarmouth went on to record their second win of the season.

• Great Yarmouth Town: Ben Cudden, Andre Costa, Philip Watkins, Barney Lawrence, Sam Giacomelli, Micael Adamo, Leighton Crux, George Barnden, Aaron Hanks (Marian Jobbagy, 71), Charlie McAra (Nathan Kemp, 89), Fernando Vide (Alex Pantelli, 90). Unused subs: Lee Hackleton

Bookings: Giacomelli (59)

Goals: Hanks (29), McAra (31), Barnden (pen, 84)

• Newmarket Town: Kevin Bugg, Steve Paultiney, Aaron Collins (Ben Hammonds, 53), Joe Parr, Rhys Williams, Aroon Maskell, Wes Boatright, Warron Reddick, Johnny Olive, Issac Smith (Ollie Drake, 81), Kennoth Gray.

Bookings: Boatwright (57)

Goals: Parr (3)

• Attendance: 74