Great Yarmouth Town 2, Wivenhoe Town 2

A brace from Ben Connell in the final minutes denied Yarmouth a much deserved win at home to Wivenhoe.

Goals from George Barnden and Charlie McAra in each half gave Yarmouth a two goal advantage heading into second half stoppage time, but Connell's goals stole the three points from the home side.

Yarmouth attacked right from the kick off with the first chance coming after just 20 seconds, Plattern finding Vide who fired over the bar.

And they took the lead on three minutes. Vide's cross from the right looked overhit but was kept in play by Platten who rolled the ball back for Barnden to fire past the keeper and into the far corner.

Wivenhoe's players had limited time on the ball so were reduced to long range shots, the first attempt coming after 22 minutes when Parkin fired over the bar from 30 yards.

On 24 minutes Yarmouth could have doubled their advantage. Platten found McAra in a good position on the right with time and space to pick his shot, but it rolled agonisingly wide of the far post. A minute later a corner was cleared to Platten whose shot from the edge of the box dropped over the bar.

Yarmouth were comfortable in possession and able to control the midfield, not allowing the away team to create many chances, although unable to create many goal scoring opportunities themselves.

Most Read

They were almost made to pay as Wivenhoe forced their way back into the game for the final 15 minutes of the half. With 33 minutes gone a Wivenhoe corner was cleared to License to volley over the bar. And on 41 minutes a throw found substitute Rogers whose turn and shot was comfortably saved by Cudden.

The second half saw an improved performance from Wivenhoe with chances from Connell, Parkin and Amass fired off target all within the first ten minutes of the half.

On 58 minutes a Wivenhoe corner led to a melee in the box, with Brown and Schofield both having shots blocked before Connell blasted over the bar. Wivenhoe were creating most of the chances in the second half and looked the more likely to get the game's second goal.

Instead Yarmouth doubled their advantage against the run of play just short of the hour mark. A free kick was rolled into the path of McAra who slotted the ball into the net from a tight angle after rounding the keeper.

Despite this setback, Wivenhoe continued to create opportunities to score. With 16 minute to go Wivenhoe won a free kick 25 yards out. From it, Cudden pulled off a diving save to prevent Amass from placing the free kick into the top right corner.

Most of the shots from Wivenhoe failed to trouble Cudden, and with a minute remaining of normal time Yarmouth looked to be heading home with the three points. But a free kick - penalising Jobbagy for handball, a questionable decision - taken by Amass was knocked down to Connell to side-foot Wivenhoe back into the game.

And in the third of five minutes of added time the comeback was complete as a move on the right fell to Connell to hook the ball past both Cudden and a defender on the line to steal a point back to Essex.

Yarmouth were left wondering how the win escaped them and when the next set of three points will arrive.

• Great Yarmouth Town: Ben Cudden, Nathan Kemp (Marian Jobbagy, 71), Leighton Crux, Danny Burkle, Sam Giacomelli, Jordan Forbes, Charlie McAra, George Barnden, Russell Platten (Alex Davies, 89), Lee Henwood, Fernando Vide. Unused Subs: Simeon Lee, Neil Hurren, David Hackleton.

Bookings: None

Goals: Barnden (3), McAra (59)

• Wivenhoe Town: Adam Wilding, Tom Moore (Aaron Peck, 71), Lewis Ayton (Luke Rogers 38), Ryan Brown, Tom Cutts, Ben Parkin, TJ Amass, Liam Dadds, Ben Licence, Ben Connell, Ray Catchpole (Mike Schofield, 57). Unused Subs: Jake Hearn.

Bookings: None

Goals: Connell (89, 90)

• Attendance: 66