Great Yarmouth Town 2, FC Clacton 8

Great Yarmouth's poor performance was reflected in their worst result of the season in a game memorable for all the wrong reasons.

The Bloaters were 3-0 down within 15 minutes, but the second half saw the home defence concede five more with two consolation goals softening the result.

Despite Yarmouth retaining possession in the opening stages, it only took four minutes for Clacton to open the scoring. Dunkley's cross from the left falling to Hillier to slot past Greygoose.

After Yarmouth were denied a free kick on 12 minutes – Steer wrongly adjudged to have been fairly tackled on the edge of the area – Clacton went on the counter attack. A through ball found Waters, who curled a shot from 20 yards into the top corner.

Just two minutes later it was three. Coyle had an easy tap-in at the near post after Waters found him with a low ball from the right.

This opening spell made Yarmouth lose morale, allowing Clacton to have more chances. After 26 minutes it could have been four had it not been for the linesman's flag, Coyle's header after Condon's cross from the right was marginally offside.

Yarmouth's first chance of the game came seven minutes from half time with Vide's shot flying wide of the far post from 25 yards out. The left winger had another chance five minutes later, but this time his deflected effort looped into the arms of the visiting goalkeeper.

Most Read

The second half started in similar fashion with three goals scored within 15 minutes, but this time with Yarmouth getting a consolation.

The first came straight from the restart, Condon slotting away after capitalising on a Baldock mistake. Waters got his second of the game just two minutes later when he tucked away a cross from the right.

While Yarmouth's goal came when Forbes was gifted a free header to plant Steer's cross into the back of the net just before the hour mark.

On 63 minutes Waters and substitute Andrade combined well on the left, with the latter beating Greygoose at his near post. The goalkeeper left visibly disappointed at conceding this way.

Just five minutes later Greygoose was beaten again but there was nothing he could do about this goal. Yarmouth's defence was split allowing Barrett to go one-on-one with the goalkeeper. But he was helpless when his save fell to Waters to tap in for his third and Clacton's eighth of the afternoon.

Yarmouth scored the tenth and final goal of the game three minutes from time. With Clacton's defence asleep – thinking the job was done – they were split by Vide's through ball to Forbes, who chipped the visiting goalkeeper from 20 yards.

• Yarmouth: J Greygoose; S Macleod (N Kemp, 32), J Page, S Steer (J Marczento, 73), D Baldock, A Ager (C), V Formoso, G Barnden, M Forbes, S Woodcock, F Vide. Unused Subs: S Bartley, D Hackleton.

Bookings: Steer 64

Goals: Forbes 57, 87

• FC Clacton: J Playle; L Peacock, J Dunkley (K Marvell, 65), L Barrett, T Austin, M Cripps, K Coyle (C), B Wales, M Waters, S Hillier, A Condon (K Andrade, 54). Unused Subs: L Whittaker, D Smith

Bookings: Waters 61, Andrade 90+2

Goals: Dunkley 4; Waters 12, 49, 68; Coyle 14; Condon 47