Great Yarmouth Town 0, Wisbech Town 1

A Callum Reed strike midway through the second half was enough to secure the win for Wisbech, but the Bloaters could have salvaged a draw at the end.

Substitutes Russell Platten and Fernando Vide had the chance to steal a point in the final minutes of a game dominated by the visiting Fenmen.

Supporters from both sides would have hoped the two week break caused by the weather would improve their fortunes but it was Wisbech that got out of the blocks quickest, with Davey rattling the crossbar after four passes.

Both teams struggled with the poor state of the Wellesley pitch and the worsening weather conditions, with both teams unable to keep possession of the ball for long spells of the opening moments.

Although after ten minutes one change of possession almost benefited Yarmouth, McAra stealing the ball off a Wisbech defender before interchanging passes with Crux. But after getting into a good position the striker couldn't finish. McAra's low shot was saved by visiting goalkeeper Rayner with the rebound blocked from Crux.

Despite the poor conditions it was the visitors that adjusted the easiest, with Fairweather and Johnson close to hitting the target within five minutes.

Wisbech's best spell of possession in the first half came ten minutes from the interval. A free header from Fairweather turned a corner over the bar while two minutes later a free kick from Reed was prevented from flying into the top corner due to a superb diving save from Cudden.

Most Read

Conditions improved after the break with Wisbech creating the first opportunity of the second half. Davey's turn and shot forced a low save from Cudden, with the rebound turned back into the path of the striker who fired wide.

Ten minutes into the half and another chance fell to the Fenmen, Fairweather feeding Millson after interchanging passes with Lunn with the midfielder's shot turned behind by Cudden. The resulting corner directly hit the crossbar before a diving header was blocked on the line.

The pressure was building on Yarmouth's goal, and the breakthrough came soon after. Lunn, after good work on the left, sent in a low cross that allowed Reed to finish with a simple tap-in at the far post.

Wisbech created several chances to double their advantage throughout the remainder of the game. Midway through the second half Davey planted a header over the bar from six yards while Cousins rattled the woodwork from his own header.

Despite the three points looking to be heading away from the Wellesley, the Bloaters could've had two substitutes to thank for salvaging a point. Jones' cross fell to Platten whose shot, which was initially heading wide, was redirected over the bar by fellow substitute Vide.

• Great Yarmouth Town: Ben Cudden, Liam Williams (Jordan Forbes, 67), Philip Watkins, Callum Jones, Sam Giacomelli, Sim Lee, Lewis Popham (Fernando Vide, 60), George Barnden, Marian Jobbagy, Charlie McAra (Russell Platten, 78), Leighton Crux. Unused Subs: David Hackleton.

Bookings: Lee 23

• Wisbech Town: Ryan Rayner, Neal Spafford, Scott Johnson, Paul Cousins, Jon Fairweather, Callum Reed, Adam Millson, Steven Reid (Oliver Gale, 67), Chris Brown, Nick Davey (Sam Murphy, 76), Matt Lunn (Lewis Thompson, 67). Unused Subs: Steve Appleby

Bookings: Cousins 45

• Goals: Reed (65)

• Attendance: 57