Great Yarmouth Racecourse sets date for return to action
- Credit: James Bass
Racing will not recommence at Great Yarmouth until June next year.
The track reopened in August after remedial work was carried out on the turf course, but the final two meetings of the season had to be moved when heavy rain rendered the track unraceable when a couple of jockeys were unseated.
Further work has been carried out and it will be given extra time to mature to ensure 18 meetings can take place.
Where the six meetings scheduled to take place in April and May will now be held has still to be decided.
Arena Racing Company, which owns Great Yarmouth, will continue to liaise with the British Horseracing Authority and an inspection will take place in May.
ARC say they will continue to liaise with the British Horseracing Authority (BHA) about the progress and the recommencement of racing, as well as working closely with Professional Sports Turf Design.
The racecourse will have its annual BHA pre-season inspection in May prior to racing.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 3 Norfolk zoo keeper abandoned as a baby reunited with mother in ITV show
- 4 9 of the best campsites on the Norfolk coast
- 5 Norwich man in court over £3.5m whiskey theft
- 6 Café completely sells out on first week of launching Sunday roasts
- 7 Men fined more than £600 for fishing illegally
- 8 Woman freed from vehicle after car overturns near to shops
- 9 A47 clears following long delays after four-vehicle crash
- 10 'Mishap' at historic hotel as van crashes into entrance wall
Glenn Tubby, Great Yarmouth executive director, said: 'The team at Great Yarmouth is grateful for the patience and continued support our racegoers, annual members, sponsors and horsemen have shown during our 2015 race season. We are already looking forward to our 2016 season and the many great years of racing ahead of us.'
Jon Pullin, ARC's Racing Operations Director, said: 'The new start date for Great Yarmouth's 2016 race season provides certainty for horsemen and racegoers.
'ARC is committed to ensuring each of our racecourses provides the best possible conditions for horses to race on and we are confident the extra time the track will now have will ensure an uninterrupted race season from June to October next year. This is in the best interests of Great Yarmouth Racecourse and means we can all enjoy racing at the track for many years to come.'