Great Britain, Australia, Latvia and USA enter Speedway World Cup Race-off last chance saloon
- Credit: IAN BURT
Four countries enter the last chance saloon tonight as they try to book their place in Saturday's Speedway World Cup final.
Great Britain and USA – who finished second and third in Monday's Event Two at King's Lynn's Norfolk Arena – will compete against Australia and Latvia, who Lynn ace Andzejs Lebedevs rides for, in the race-off in Prague, Czech Republic.
The winner of this evening's clash will join the Czechs, Poland and holders Denmark, who triumphed at Saddlebow Road, in the weekend's showcase.
Team GB boss Neil Middleditch has called up Lewis Bridger and Ben Barker to try and reach the final four. While British champion Tai Woffinden (18 points) and Chris 'Bomber' Harris (12) were awesome in the Lynn meet, Craig Cook (four) and Edward Kennett (one) have lost their places after poor displays.
'Ben has got experience of riding in the Czech league and Lewis is out in Poland. He has some good equipment out there hopefully,' Middleditch told the World Cup's official website.
You may also want to watch:
'They both wanted the chance, they're a couple of young lads and they've got their chance. We'll see what they can do. Phil (Morris, assistant) and I had a chat and we chatted with Tai and Bomber, and that was the consensus of opinion – Ben and Lewis are the boys for the job.'
While America reached their goal by qualifying for the race-off, Britain's main threat will almost certainly be Australia who finished second behind Poland in Sunday's Event One. USA will wear the red helmet colour come tapes up while Latvia will ride in blue, GB white and the Aussies yellow.
- 1 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 2 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 3 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 4 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 5 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 6 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 7 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 8 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 9 Going full term during this coronavirus pandemic fills me with absolute terror
- 10 Carer caught on CCTV letting dog scratch vulnerable pensioner