Grant waiting for triple tonic
CHRIS LAKEY Peter Grant is sticking to his transfer window master plan as he closes in on the players who will make his team 99pc complete.
Peter Grant is sticking to his transfer window master plan as he closes in on the players who will make his team 99pc complete.
The Canaries boss says three, possibly four, new players will be joining the City squad - either on permanent transfers or on loan.
Nothing is expected to happen before tomorrow's FA Cup fourth round tie at Blackpool - which leaves Grant until close of business next Wednesday to bring in players on permanent transfers.
“I have 99pc of my team set in my mind, so no matter who comes in I won't change that,” Grant said yesterday.
Grant hinted that his target players are on FA Cup duty around the country, when asked if there would be any signings made before the trip to the north-west.
- 1 Massive care village and research park planned for edge of Norwich
- 2 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp in popular park
- 3 Mods and rockers taking over Norfolk town for classic bike and scooter meet
- 4 Large aircraft in shape of whale spotted above Norfolk
- 5 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 6 Why is Norfolk not introducing a hosepipe ban?
- 7 Dash cams help police prosecute 400 drivers in a year
- 8 Warning to pet owners after chocolate dumped in seaside village
- 9 Can you spot yourself in the Classic Ibiza crowd at Blickling?
- 10 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
“Probably not Saturday because of cup ties, whatever,” he said. “And also, the fact if it's a loan, clubs won't want him cup tied.”
Grant has already brought in midfielder Luke Chadwick and striker Chris Brown on permanent deals, with goalkeeper David Marshall joining on loan from Celtic until the end of the season.
But more are needed to shore up a City squad that has four players currently out on loan - a task that Grant says will go to the very last minute of the window.
“I'm working hard to try and get a few bodies in,” he said. “I was still talking to people as late as 10.30, 10.45 last night and sometimes you have to put a lid on it and leave it until tomorrow.
“I am sure that it will go right to the wire because I know everybody is hanging on. It is out of my hands, people know who is involved, who I want and the players know because the clubs have let them know.
“The players are keen to do it, but the other clubs are saying, 'let's see where we stand over the next couple of days and get the weekend out of the way because there's a cup tie'.
“If I let other boys go out on loan I need three to four in. I am not putting people out and not bringing people in, that's for sure.”
Youngsters Rossi Jarvis and Matthew Halliday have gone to Torquay for a month, following Ian Henderson's loan move to Rotherham and Craig Fleming's short-term deal with Wolves.
And Grant confirmed yesterday that striker Peter Thorne had been the subject of an inquiry by Oldham manager John Sheridan - although nothing had come of it.
“They asked about Thorney,” said Grant. “I think that's because he is a Manchester boy, but at this moment in time there is nothing happening on that.
“I just said I have let Peter know that. If anybody inquiries about any of my players I will tell them right away, it is up to them then if they want to speak to them.”
Thorne's City career has been blighted by injuries since his he moved to Carrow Road from Cardiff 18 months ago.
However, that has not put off Sheridan, who admits he wants a fourth senior striker alongside Chris Porter, Paul Warne and Chris Hall.
He said: “I made an enquiry about him but not a lot's happened. He's a player I'd like to bring in if I could because he's not in the team at Norwich. I don't want to say too much about it because nothing's happened.
“If a player's available and I think he'll do a job, I'll try and get them in. The squad's small and there aren't many options if we get injuries.”