GP2: Marcus Ericsson shines for Isport with excellent weekend in Spa
Marcus Ericsson enjoyed his best weekend of the 2012 GP2 season with an excellent feature race victory in Belgium.
The Swedish racer was dominant on the Saturday in the Formula One feeder series – his first victory for the Carleton-Rode outfit – and went on to back it up with an excellent fourth in Sunday's sprint race.
Team-Jolyon Palmer also impressed after a troubled opener, rising from 22nd to finish 10th on Sunday.
'Finally Marcus got the win he deserved and has threatened for so long,' said Isport team principal Paul Jackson.
'Both drivers had good pace throughout the event and qualified well and we had the potential for a double podium. Unfortunately, Jolyon was eliminated from race one when he and (Luiz) Razia made contact during an overtaking manoeuvre.
You may also want to watch:
'While it was a great weekend for Marcus, it was frustrating for Jolyon not to score when he had the same raw pace as Marcus. But we now move straight to Monza (this weekend) and hope to see both cars realise their full potential and score some good points.'
Hethel-backed Lotus GP saw British driver James Calado continue his relentlessly consistent season, with second and third underlining his third position in the drivers' standings – albeit some way behind joint leaders Davide Valsecchi and Razia. The pair who drove for Hingham-backed Caterham in 2011 are currently tied on 204 points.
- 1 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 2 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 3 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 4 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 5 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 6 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 7 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 8 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 9 Man 'helping police with inquiries' in search for missing woman
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
Lotus top the team standings with Isport sixth, four points ahead of Hingham rivals Caterham. Their Spa weekend was indifferent as Giedo van der Garde came home fifth on Saturday with a drive from 10th, followed by a pointless Sunday after an early collision. Attleborough team-mate Rodolfo Gonzalez saw a best of 13th after an encouraging drive in the sprint race.
The GP2 field follows Formula One to Monza this weekend, before the season finishes in Singapore at the end of September.