Gotto holds her nerve to take victory ahead of Thwaites in series event
- Credit: Archant
The Norfolk Broads Yacht Club hosted the first event in its Musto Optimist East Traveller Series.
With the more experienced sailors at big European events this was an excellent chance for the next generation to show their class.
The Panks Trophy was up for grabs and there were two fleets (gold and silver/Regatta) both starting at the same time.
In the first race Milo Clabburn looked like he might upset the Zone Squad competitors when he took an early lead.
By lunch time with two races sailed Jemima Gotto had taken two firsts and came in gleeful that, as only three races were scheduled, she had won.
You may also want to watch:
There then followed a very happy conversation with her father with him explaining that he had just asked the race office to run an extra race – so everything was still up for grabs. And with Tom Thwaites having taken two second places he was hot on her heels.
Race three and Thwaites brought his best game – and took first place. So it was all down to the final race and it was getting pretty exciting.
- 1 7 places to avoid the crowds in Norfolk this summer
- 2 'I'd be utterly lost without it' - Family told to dig up vegetable patch
- 3 Head chef whose kitchen burned down leaves restaurant
- 4 Thunderstorms and heavy rain warning for Norfolk
- 5 What it is like to be registered at Norfolk's busiest GP
- 6 Man abducted girl, 14, and tried to hide her under bench
- 7 Lidl announces date for new Norwich store opening
- 8 Tesco staff self-isolate after being ‘pinged’ by track and trace
- 9 Katherine Ryan Norwich show called off just before start due to Covid
- 10 Medical watchdog restricts botched op gallbladder surgeon
In race four Thwaites and Gotto duelled it out. Goyyo took an early lead – but then in the last beat they both picked different sides of the Broad as Thwaites cunningly broke cover to see if he could steal a place, but Gotto managed to hold him off and take the race.
At the end of the day the winners were. Gold fleet: 1 Jemima Gotto; 2 Tom Thwaite; 3 Milo Clabburn. Silver fleet: 1 Ralph Surguy; 2 Ellie Thwaite
Theo Deverell set a new personal best over the line in two out of 4 races.
All the children in the Optimist Team East (including Thomas & Charles Alston, Theo Deverell, Tom Thwaite, Bryce & Ralph Surguy, Daisy and Milo Clabburn and Jemima Gotto), will be representing the region at national events.
All received a rash vest from our exceptionally generous sponsors Musto.