Gorleston golden girl Jessica-Jane nominated for BBC’s young sports personality
Gorleston girl Jessica-Jane Applegate is one of 10 contenders shortlisted for the BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year 2012.
Past winners of the award, announced to millions on a television show in December, include diver Tom Daley in 2007, 2009 and 2010 and footballer Wayne Rooney in 2002.
Last year's winner was golfer Lauren Taylor, who claimed the award after becoming the youngest winner of the Ladies' British Open Amateur Championship.
Jessica-Jane, 16, won gold at the Paralympics in London after setting a new Games record in the 200m Freestyle S14 final.
The nomination rounds off a special year that saw her enjoy a homecoming parade around the streets of Great Yarmouth on a road train, named Jessica-Jane in her honour, following her triumph at the games.
You may also want to watch:
Last month she was the toast of the county when she was crowned Norfolk's sports star of 2012 in Active Norfolk awards held at the Forum.
- 1 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 2 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 3 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 4 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 5 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 6 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 7 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 8 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 9 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 10 Jail for 'Jekyll and Hyde' builder who made customer 'fear for her life'