Gorleston golden girl Jessica-Jane nominated for BBC’s young sports personality
Gorleston girl Jessica-Jane Applegate is one of 10 contenders shortlisted for the BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year 2012.
Past winners of the award, announced to millions on a television show in December, include diver Tom Daley in 2007, 2009 and 2010 and footballer Wayne Rooney in 2002.
Last year's winner was golfer Lauren Taylor, who claimed the award after becoming the youngest winner of the Ladies' British Open Amateur Championship.
Jessica-Jane, 16, won gold at the Paralympics in London after setting a new Games record in the 200m Freestyle S14 final.
The nomination rounds off a special year that saw her enjoy a homecoming parade around the streets of Great Yarmouth on a road train, named Jessica-Jane in her honour, following her triumph at the games.
You may also want to watch:
Last month she was the toast of the county when she was crowned Norfolk's sports star of 2012 in Active Norfolk awards held at the Forum.
- 1 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
- 2 Man dies following crash between tractor and car
- 3 Farmhouse sells at auction after 60 bids - but how much did it go for?
- 4 Jonny to the rescue! Boyfriend springs into action after coffee spill drama
- 5 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 6 12 police vehicles called to 'very serious' crash in west Norfolk
- 7 Wife's tribute to horse-loving 'true-gentleman' after inquest
- 8 The top-rated McDonald's in Norfolk according to Tripadvisor
- 9 Former policeman to appear in court accused of rape
- 10 The Original Factory Shop opens its doors in north Norfolk