Gorleston flex their muscles in opening day win
- Credit: James Bass
Gorleston confirmed their status as favourites for the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division title with an impressive 3-1 win over Ely City at Emerald Park.
Keegan Middleton opened the scoring in the 25th minute after following up Bradley Hough's effort to ram the ball home. Gorleston made it 2-0 when Hough finished off some fine approach play by Finch.
It was game over midway through the second half when Nathan Stone fired home. Richard Chadwick pulled one back for Ely but it was too little too late.
An excellent first half display was enough to see Thetford earn a 2-0 win at Stanway. Luke Catchpole opened the scoring with a long-range strike and Matt Dixon made the game safe before the break.
Goals from Adam Bennett and Martin McNeil earned Norwich United a 2-1 win over CRC whilst Aaron Condon's 91st minute equaliser deprived Kirkley & Pakefield of victory after Kyle Baker's opener.
Diss Town opened their campaign with a 1-1 draw at home to Mildenhall after manager Richard Daniels gave debuts to nine of his summer signings.
Mildenhall took the lead in the sixth minute when Craig Nurse went down under a challenge from Eddie Thompson and Allicion Blake dispatched the spot-kick. Tom Dew came close to levelling the scores for the Tangerines before half-time but within three minutes of the restart the hosts were level.
- 1 Massive care village and research park planned for edge of Norwich
- 2 Can you spot yourself in the Classic Ibiza crowd at Blickling?
- 3 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 4 New tenant bid for former Argos store on retail park
- 5 Congestion eases after crash on outskirts of Norwich by A47 junction
- 6 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp in popular park
- 7 9 West End shows heading to Norwich in 2023
- 8 Water company 'very sorry' as people fill sandbags in flooded street
- 9 Adder warning in coastal areas as snakes come out to bask
- 10 Jailed this week: Paedophile and teen who blinded man
Ali McKenna was tripped by Werthmann and Thrower made it 1-1 from the spot to ensure Diss preserved a point.
Swaffham got their season off to the perfect start with a 3-0 win at Long Melford. Mark Allibone opened the scoring midway through the first half with a fine header before Rory Harper doubled the Pedlars' lead shortly after. Swaffham made sure of victory early in the second half when Vincent's driven cross was put through his own net by a Long Melford defender.
Great Yarmouth came from 2-0 down at Saffron Walden to rescue a point at the Essex-based outfit. A nightmare start saw the Bloaters ship two goals before Pete Oldham threw them a lifeline before the break. However, Yarmouth had to wait until the 86th minute when Mitch Forbes struck to earn a draw.
Robbie Harris opened the scoring for Fakenham but couldn't stop Whitton running out 3-1 winners while Dereham Reserves lost 3-1 at Halstead.