Gorleston and Dereham both unbeaten in Thurlow Nunn League

Norfolk Senior Cup holders Gorleston continued their unbeaten start to the new season with a comprehensive 4-1 demolition of Felixstowe and Walton United.

Hot on their heels are the only other team with a 100pc record, Dereham Town, who put three past Brantham Athletic without reply, while Kirkley & Pakefield and Wisbech Town are just a couple of points back.

Gorleston manager Richard Daniels was without seven players and had to make three changes to the line-up which won the previous two games - but the outcome could leave him with the sort of selection dilemma most managers dream of.

Three goals in as many minutes set the tone for the game – Felixstowe took the lead on 12 minutes through Remi Garrett and two minutes later Jack Garrod cut in from the left and hit a cracking 25-yard dipping effort over the keeper.

Virtually from the restart, Ricci Butler burst into the box from the right and curled the ball with the outside of his foot into the bottom corner of the goal.

With half-time approaching, Steve Taylor and Butler exchanged passes with the latter breaking into the box where he was felled by a Felixstowe defender, the referee pointing straight to the spot – Butler despatching the penalty.

It was all over on 75 minutes, Finch shooting left-footed into the bottom left corner as Gorleston made it four out of four.

Most Read

Dereham deservedly took the lead in the 39th minute at Aldiss Park – Ollie Willis' low cross found Nicky Howell, who swept the ball home from 14 yards. Gary Starling added a penalty on 54 minutes and it was all over on 77 minutes thanks to a superb individual goal by Luke Tuttle.

Kirkley & Pakefield beat CRC 3-0 – Kyle Baker put them ahead on 18 minutes, Scott Manning made it 2-0 soon after the interval with a deflected effort and Dominic Smith volleyed home a third in the closing stages.

Wisbech were 2-0 winners at Woodbridge, with goals from Dubi Ogbonna (13) and Steven Reid (45).

Norwich United are mid-table after a 2-1 home win over FC Clacton in a game which ended 10-a-side.

United finally found a way past visiting keeper Ed Wooten 10 minutes before half-time when Justin Fox produced a pinpoint cross for the unmarked Steve Shipley to head home and Jordan Blyth made it 2-0 just before the break. Shipley saw red on 54 minutes for bringing down a Clacton player as he headed for goal, allowing Darren Bethel to pull one back from the free-kick.

But United held firm and Clacton finished a man short when Lee Barrett was dismissed on 87 minutes for two yellows cards.

Diss and Premier Division new boys Thetford Town are among the early-season strugglers.

Robert Taylor's Tangerines were thumped 5-2 at Mildenhall, while Thetford crashed 4-0 at Stanway Rovers.

In the First Division, Great Yarmouth Town lost for the first time this season, going down 5-2 at Braintree Town Reserves.

Braintree were 5-0 up before Yarmouth scored through Callum Jones, 12 minutes from time, and sub Marian Jobbagy.

The three other Norfolk clubs enjoyed successful afternoons. Downham were 4-0 winners at Cornard United – where the crowd matched exactly the number of players in the starting line-up, Fakenham beat Brightlingsea 2-1 and Swaffham Town beat Halstead 4-1, thanks to an own goal and late efforts from Alex Vincent, Toby and Rory Harper.