Gorleston 1, Wivenhoe Town 1

An injury time equaliser prevented Gorleston making it three wins on the bounce. The Greens showed just one change from the side that had beaten Woodbridge last time out, with Bradley Hough replacing Ally McKenna, as they hoped to put in a better performance than they did in the corresponding fixture in Essex and to some extent they did, at least in the first half.

An even opening twenty minutes saw both goalkeepers called in to early action.

After seven minutes Steve Taylor controlled the ball on his chest and volleyed goalwards but Dragons keeper Richard Robins rose to push the ball over.

Five minutes later Elliot Pride produced the save of the match as Ray Catchpole shot from 20 yards but Pride stretched to fingertip the ball over the bar when it looked destined for the top corner.

Gorleston began to get on top. Hough played Christy Finch through on goal after half an hour but Robins was out quickly to block.

You may also want to watch:

Four minutes later captain Andy Howell powered a header goalwards from a corner but again Robins pushed it away on the line.

Three minutes before the break Hough pulled the goal back from the byline to Reece Hunn but he could only drill the shot straight at the keeper.

Most Read

The Greens finished the half on top and had made thirteen attempts at the Wivenhoe goal, which is more than they had made in the full ninety minutes of each of their last five matches, but their apparent shyness in front of goal must be a worry to the management duo.

Six minutes into the second half a long ball saw Hough burst through on goal but the ball would not come down for him quick enough and a defender managed to get back to clear the danger.

Gorleston's passing was not as good as it could be, with too many going astray or wrong decisions made, and the Greens looked very narrow.

Mitch Forbes replaced Gary Williams and Gorleston played with three strikers for a while.

Jack Marsden had also come on, in place of Reece Hunn who was carrying a knock, and he managed to pull a ball back to Hough on the penalty spot. Hough looked almost certain to score with the keeper stranded but he screwed his shot wide.

Finch then showed good strength to hold off a defender and get in a shot which was deflected and ended safely in the goalkeepers arms.

With nine minutes remaining Gorleston took the lead.

Marsden threaded a ball in from the left, Chris Sandford battled for it and it fell to Finch who buried it into the net with the outside of his foot.

However, with Gorleston's tendency to gift goals and not keep clean sheets one goal was never likely to be enough and so it proved deep into injury time.

The Greens gave the ball away in midfield and Wivenhoe broke down their right. A deep cross found substitute Ben Licence running in from the left, unchecked, to sidefoot into the net.

• Gorleston: Elliot Pride, Kyle Howell, Reece Hunn (Jack Marsden, 59), Andy Howell, Adam Thurtle, Olly Thompson, Chris Sandford, Gary Williams (Mitch Forbes, 67), Bradley Hough (Liam Harvey-Cooper, 77), Steve Taylor, Christy Finch

Goal: Finch 81

Booking: Hunn 11

• Wivenhoe Town: Richard Robins, Marley Spindler, Ben Lambon (Tom Moore, 73), Ryan Brown, Tom Cutts, Bryan Turner, Terry Amass (Liam Dadds, 84), Markel Greenidge, Ray Catchpole (Ben Licence, 64), Ben Connell, Tola Odedoyin

Goal: Licence 90

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter