Gissing make the most of first shot at County Cup
It's not often that a team entering a competition for the first time goes on to win – but it was the case at this year's NCBA County Cup final played at Hethersett Social BC.
Gissing BC entered the competition for the first time and took on first time finalists Dilham.
It was a very tight game throughout, with Gissing leading by 17 shots to 13 after five ends. At 10 ends Dilham had taken a 32 shot to 30 lead and by 15 ends the game was even closer, with Dilham holding a one-shot advantage at 47-46.
The next three ends proved pivotal as Gissing scored 12 shots to Dilham's six to move into a 58-53 lead.
Gossing extended their lead over the last three ends to six shots to run out winners by 70 shots to 64.
You may also want to watch:
NCBA President David Filby presented the County Cup to the winning team. The game was umpired by Barry Swan.
Rink scores (Gissing first): K Lake, M Jolly, K Fulcher 12 I London, Mrs S Hardingham, T Gibson 16; I Groves, D Last, C Gaul 21 Mrs S Love, D Loades, T Hardingham 14; G South, P Whymark, G Forster 24 Mrs C Swan, I Bishop, V Wilson 16; D Oakley, M Coe, P Forster 13 D Gibbs, P Gother, K Wilby 18.
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 3 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 4 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 5 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 6 Report into woman's murder by jealous ex: 'Employers must do more'
- 7 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 8 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 9 Homes plan to be revealed for former infant school
- 10 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
• The final of the Top Club was held this week at Aldiss Park between Wymondham Dell and North Walsham, with Wymondham Dell taking the trophy by three points to one.
The singles saw Jayne Roylance (North Walsham) forge ahead to a 20-10 lead. However, Susie Groombridge was not to be beaten and over the next nine ends produced some superb bowling to win the game 21-20.
In the pairs, Wendy Bryant and Muriel Harvey (Wymondham Dell) were slow starters, and were 21 shots behind at 15 ends, but sheer determination saw them pull back to lose 26-17.
Sheila Malyon, Janet Ewins and Jean Webb were level at five ends, and again at eight ends, but then showed no mercy as they swept to a 22-8 victory in the triples.
The fours saw the Wymondham quartet of Pam Baker, Barbara Parker, Marlene Elvin and Shirley Flood trail by six shots at 10 ends to Kay Hipperson, Sheila Leighton, Linda Blake and Christine Webb, but, thanks to a six on the 16th, followed by a three on the 18th, they got in front for the first time and took the game 24–20.
• The EBF National Championships took place on the Suncastle Greens in Skegness – Norfolk were not represented in the team competitions this year so the spotlight will fall on the county's bowlers when the individual competitions start today.
The first scheduled games for the Norfolk qualifiers are:
Today: 9.15am – Secretaries Singles: V Hudson v Derbyshire. Two Bowl Rinks: A Sayer, R Bunton, C Woodcock v Cleveland. 11.45am – Mixed Rinks: S Covell, L Blake, B Sadler v Northants. 4 Bowl Singles: J Hudson v Humberside. Ladies 4 bowl singles: M Himpleman v Cleveland. 12.15am – Champion of Champions: W Burrage v Humberside. Pairs: N Blyth, V Hudson v North Essex. 1.45pm – Ladies 2 bowl singles: L Knights v Humberside. 2.15pm – Three bowl rinks: A Sayer, R Bunton, C Woodcock v Cleveland. 3.15pm – Senior Mixed Pairs: J Morton, J Laskey v Derbyshire. 4.45pm – 2 bowls singles: A Sayer v North Cambridgeshire. Ladies pairs: D Ramm, B Masters v North Cambridgeshire.
Tomorrow: 9.15am – Ladies 2 bowl rinks: V Moore, S Lee, L Blake v North Essex. 10.45am – Ladies Senior Pairs: J Kirby, M Himpleman v Suffolk. 11.45am – Mixed pairs: M & G Haylett v Northumberland. 1.45pm – Veterans singles: T Elvin v Cleveland. 2.15pm – Ladies 3 bowl rinks: S Bates, J Watson, M Barker v previous round winner.
Thursday: 9.15am – Senior pairs: T Armes, B Wymer v Nottinghamshire. Ladies Senior singles: M Himpleman v Nottinghamshire. 12.15pm – Ladies U25 singles: J Ward v Lincolnshire. 1.45pm – U25 singles: J Groves v Durham. Ladies Champion of Champions: L Blake v North Cambridgeshire. 3.15pm – Open U25 open pairs. M Sparrow, D Mills v North Cambridgeshire.