Gibbs and Bertrand return to Norwich with England
Andy Carroll looked poised for his maiden England call-up last night after being left out of the Under-21 squad for their upcoming European Championship play-off.
But Jack Wilshere and Kieran Gibbs are likely to miss out on selection for the Euro 2012 qualifier against Montengro after both were named in the party for the Under-21s' double-header against Romania.
Carroll's omission is understood not to have been injury-related and, with England suffering something of a striker shortage ahead of their October 12 Group G clash, it appears the Newcastle youngster will be drafted into the senior ranks.
Wilshere, 18, had been hoping for a recall after being dropped for last month's double-header against Bulgaria and Switzerland.
Arsenal's Gibbs, 21, was an unused substitute in both matches but was expected to keep his place in the squad. He will be returning to Carrow Road for the first time since an impressive spell on loan with the Canaries three seasons ago. He is joined in the squad by another former Canary loanee, Chelsea's Ryan Bertrand.
You may also want to watch:
• England Under-21 squad: F Fielding (Blackburn), S Loach (Watford), A Smithies (Huddersfield) J Steele (Middlesbrough); R Bertrand (Chelsea), K Gibbs (Arsenal), P Jones (Blackburn), M Kelly (Liverpool), M Mancienne (Chelsea), M Richards (Manchester City), C Smalling (Manchester United), K Walker (Tottenham); M Albrighton (Aston Villa), T Cleverley (Manchester United), J Cork (Chelsea), J Henderson (Sunderland), H Lansbury (Arsenal), F Muamba (Bolton), D Rose (Tottenham), J Wilshere (Arsenal); N Delfouneso (Aston Villa), D Sturridge (Chelsea), D Welbeck (Manchester United).
- 1 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 2 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 3 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 4 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 7 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 8 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 9 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 10 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock