Gibbs and Bertrand return to Norwich with England
Andy Carroll looked poised for his maiden England call-up last night after being left out of the Under-21 squad for their upcoming European Championship play-off.
But Jack Wilshere and Kieran Gibbs are likely to miss out on selection for the Euro 2012 qualifier against Montengro after both were named in the party for the Under-21s' double-header against Romania.
Carroll's omission is understood not to have been injury-related and, with England suffering something of a striker shortage ahead of their October 12 Group G clash, it appears the Newcastle youngster will be drafted into the senior ranks.
Wilshere, 18, had been hoping for a recall after being dropped for last month's double-header against Bulgaria and Switzerland.
Arsenal's Gibbs, 21, was an unused substitute in both matches but was expected to keep his place in the squad. He will be returning to Carrow Road for the first time since an impressive spell on loan with the Canaries three seasons ago. He is joined in the squad by another former Canary loanee, Chelsea's Ryan Bertrand.
You may also want to watch:
• England Under-21 squad: F Fielding (Blackburn), S Loach (Watford), A Smithies (Huddersfield) J Steele (Middlesbrough); R Bertrand (Chelsea), K Gibbs (Arsenal), P Jones (Blackburn), M Kelly (Liverpool), M Mancienne (Chelsea), M Richards (Manchester City), C Smalling (Manchester United), K Walker (Tottenham); M Albrighton (Aston Villa), T Cleverley (Manchester United), J Cork (Chelsea), J Henderson (Sunderland), H Lansbury (Arsenal), F Muamba (Bolton), D Rose (Tottenham), J Wilshere (Arsenal); N Delfouneso (Aston Villa), D Sturridge (Chelsea), D Welbeck (Manchester United).
- 1 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 2 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 3 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 4 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 5 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 6 Man kicked and punched in head by group of attackers
- 7 Giles Orpen-Smellie elected as police and crime commissioner
- 8 Village pub's burgers are a hit for our reviewer as eating out returns
- 9 End of an era as Debenhams closes in Norwich
- 10 Hotel owner on directing The Only Way is Essex stars in Norfolk