Gibbs and Bertrand return to Norwich with England
Andy Carroll looked poised for his maiden England call-up last night after being left out of the Under-21 squad for their upcoming European Championship play-off.
But Jack Wilshere and Kieran Gibbs are likely to miss out on selection for the Euro 2012 qualifier against Montengro after both were named in the party for the Under-21s' double-header against Romania.
Carroll's omission is understood not to have been injury-related and, with England suffering something of a striker shortage ahead of their October 12 Group G clash, it appears the Newcastle youngster will be drafted into the senior ranks.
Wilshere, 18, had been hoping for a recall after being dropped for last month's double-header against Bulgaria and Switzerland.
Arsenal's Gibbs, 21, was an unused substitute in both matches but was expected to keep his place in the squad. He will be returning to Carrow Road for the first time since an impressive spell on loan with the Canaries three seasons ago. He is joined in the squad by another former Canary loanee, Chelsea's Ryan Bertrand.
• England Under-21 squad: F Fielding (Blackburn), S Loach (Watford), A Smithies (Huddersfield) J Steele (Middlesbrough); R Bertrand (Chelsea), K Gibbs (Arsenal), P Jones (Blackburn), M Kelly (Liverpool), M Mancienne (Chelsea), M Richards (Manchester City), C Smalling (Manchester United), K Walker (Tottenham); M Albrighton (Aston Villa), T Cleverley (Manchester United), J Cork (Chelsea), J Henderson (Sunderland), H Lansbury (Arsenal), F Muamba (Bolton), D Rose (Tottenham), J Wilshere (Arsenal); N Delfouneso (Aston Villa), D Sturridge (Chelsea), D Welbeck (Manchester United).
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 3 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 4 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 5 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 6 Drunk student crashed into hotel wall after drinking tequilas
- 7 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk
- 8 'Ghetto' fears raised over scheme for 725 new homes
- 9 Pub landlord threatened to kill man he chased through streets with axe
- 10 Which Norfolk hospital has the longest ambulance handovers?