Gary Setchell vows to sort ‘on and off the pitch’ problems at King’s Lynn Town

King's Lynn Town boss Gary Setchell.

King's Lynn Town boss Gary Setchell. - Credit: Matthew Usher

King's Lynn Town boss Gary Setchell admits that a very busy summer lays ahead of him as the Linnets fell to defeat in their final Evo-Stik Premier Division away fixture of the season, writes Mark Hearle.

Speaking immediately after his team's latest loss, 3-1 at Matlock Town on Saturday, Setchell said the work will be starting as early as this week.

'I am sitting down with Buster (Chapman, chairman) on Tuesday.' confirmed Setchell.

'It is very obvious to all that we have problems on and off the pitch and these have to be addressed. I am bitterly disappointed in the way our form has dipped away since Christmas and something has to be done about it. I have identified areas which have to be improved and strengthened and the hard work on those things will begin at five past five this Saturday following the Whitby game.

'You do not have to be clever to see that we seem unable to defend and do not take anywhere enough chances at the other. In my previous seasons with the club we have, year-on-year, improved with promotions and cup runs. This is the first time we have taken a backward step and it hurts, it hurts badly. It will not be a case of just bringing in one or two new faces for next season, I don't think that will be anywhere near enough to improve it, I have to get things right'.

You may also want to watch:

Lynn conceded inside the opening 15 minutes of the match as Jamie McDonagh's free-kick was glanced past Alex Street by Julian Banton, who evaded the attentions of his marker. Town got themselves back into the game minutes later when David Bell's corner was turned on by Dan Quigley to Lee Stevenson who drilled a low shot past keeper Jon Kennedy from close in. With the Linnets enjoying good possession – but creating little in the way of a goal threat – the home side showed them how to do it when the speedy Edward Cribley broke away supplying a low centre for captain Danny Holland to turn in and restore his side's advantage.

McDonagh, who had tormented Lynn's backline all afternoon, grabbed the goal his play deserved shortly after the re-start when he headed home from four yards. Stevenson had a chance to reduce the arrears when referee Nick Hobbis pointed to the spot following a foul on Conor Marshall but his kick disappeared over Kennedy's bar – as did Town's hopes of salvaging a point in the Derbyshire sunshine.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus