Gary Setchell snaps up a cracker as highly-rated winger Dan Jacob joins King’s Lynn Town
- Credit: IAN BURT
King's Lynn Town's promotion hopes received a huge boost yesterday when they completed the signing of winger Dan Jacob.
Gary Setchell pulled off a coup by convincing the former St Neots Town ace to join the Linnets until the end of the season.
The highly-rated left-sided midfielder has long been a target of the Linnets boss, who declared himself delighted to get his man.
He said: 'If someone would have offered me a realistic player that we could have got in between now and the end of the season it would have been him.
'He's got a left foot, which will add balance, power, pace and scores goals. He's been the outstanding player at St Neots for the last three or four seasons and I'm sure he will make a difference for us.
'I've had a few texts from lads to say what a good signing it is. It doesn't mean we'll go out and beat Coalville on Tuesday and win the league but if we don't go on to win the title he'll certainly help us in trying to win the play-offs.'
Jacob scored 60 goals in 98 appearances for St Neots and helped the club enjoy two promotions to Step Three of the non-league ladder – one above Lynn.
- 1 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp in popular park
- 2 Large aircraft in shape of whale spotted above Norfolk
- 3 Massive care village and research park planned for edge of Norwich
- 4 Why is Norfolk not introducing a hosepipe ban?
- 5 Mods and rockers taking over Norfolk town for classic bike and scooter meet
- 6 Norfolk attraction to hold its largest ever fireworks display
- 7 City pub to reopen with new owners hoping to bring back 'good old days'
- 8 Woman filmed being raped while she was unconscious, court told
- 9 Rare sighting of Northern Lights captured above Norfolk
- 10 High Court threat to A47 dualling plan
He captained the side until he had his contract cancelled by mutual consent yesterday and has been a recent transfer target for both Spalding United and Blue Square North club Boston United.
Setchell believes his new man is one of the best players outside the Conference and hopes he can enjoy his time at The Walks enough to stay beyond the summer.
'I'd like to publically thank St Neots and Mike Kearns (chairman) for their co-operation in us signing Dan,' said Setchell.
'He wants a fresh challenge and he's one of the most outstanding players outside of the Conference.
'I don't want to build him up too much and put pressure on him as he'll need time to settle in and get used to the players, but I expect him to show everyone what a good player he is.
'I'm sure he won't be short of offers in the summer. He's here short term but hopefully he enjoys it that much that maybe we can renegotiate at the end of the term.'
Jacob is set to make his debut tomorrow in Lynn's mouth-watering visit to league leaders Coalville Town.