Future looks bright as Thetford Golf Club members decide to buy their club
- Credit: Archant
Thetford Golf Club members liked their course so much that they have decided to buy it!
At present the course is owned by the Crown Estate, with rent being paid to use it, but that is all set to change after an extraordinary general meeting at the club.
Members voted overwhelmingly to press ahead with plans to purchase the land and now the club's committee is considering various options to finance the move, including debentures, loans and mortgages, with hopes that a deal could be completed by April.
There has been a big turnaround at the club since difficult times five years ago when money was tight and officials were finding it difficult to keep up with rental payments.
An agreement to revise the terms of the lease, accompanied by a cost-cutting exercise, overcame the problems and since then the club has gone from strength to strength.
You may also want to watch:
Membership is back up to near maximum levels while income from visitors is also up and manager Malcolm Grubb said the vote at last week's meeting was another piece of encouraging news.
'It is going to be an exciting year,' he said. 'We have built up funds over the past couple of years which means we can make a down payment and then it will be a matter of making repayments on borrowing rather than paying rent.
- 1 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 2 Groundworks start at site of new McDonald’s restaurant
- 3 'It's opened my eyes' - What is it really like having coronavirus?
- 4 Chef Galton Blackiston closes fish and chip shop during week
- 5 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 6 Brothers take wedding bookings for 2022 after finishing barn project
- 7 Town left at standstill after level crossing failure
- 8 Driver's lucky escape as lorry ends up in ditch
- 9 'Beccles Mafia' reported to police for harassing elderly shoppers
- 10 Seven lockdown rules that could change
'A number of members have already offered to support the venture and our treasurer Chris White is drawing up a debenture offer which has already attracted interest.'
Last year a new roof was put on the clubhouse following the installation of a patio and decking area over the summer months which has transformed the club's 19th hole.
But the most important attraction is the course itself and Grubb added: 'Course manager Paul Gould and his team of greenkeepers have done wonders to provide top-notch golfing conditions all the year round and the greens have been as good this year as they have ever been.
'It is a great course to play – and soon it will enter a new era under new ownership – becoming a true members' club.'
For further information on the club contact 01842 752169, email email@example.com or visit thetfordgolfclub.co.uk