Funds raised in memory of UEA student Mike Covell boosted further by Sportspark cheque
Funds raised in memory of a University of East Anglia student for the Meningitis Trust have now surpassed �25,000.
First-year student, Mike Covell, passed away at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital on the morning of Sunday, December 7 1997 after contracting meningitis.
The 18-year-old law student was a key part of the UEA's hockey team, so ever since the Mike Covell Shield has been contested in an annual match between Mike's old team-mates, the UEA Young Old Boys, and the current UEA hockey first team.
Originally from Stokesley, in North Yorkshire, Mike's legacy at the UEA is continuing to live strong and raise funds for the Meningitis Trust.
Now Sportspark, based at the University of East Anglia, has donated �700 to the charity from this year's match - which has been running since 2001, the year Mike was due to graduate.
This year's charity match, held in October, once again saw Mike's older brother, David, playing in honour of Mike for the 1997 team.
The format for this year's event was revised slightly however and following a round-robin tournament a 'Best of UEA Old Boys' team took on the present first team and claimed a 2-1 victory.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Weather warning issued as wintry showers expected to cause icy conditions
- 3 Teenager admits stabbing three people in Norwich city centre
- 4 'Oh God almighty, this woman!' - Zoom council meeting descends into chaos
- 5 Man stopped 504 people from getting jabs after gluing vaccine centre locks
- 6 Boss 'gutted' after scenes cut from Ed Balls' Who Do You Think You Are?
- 7 OPINION: Delight when 'all you can eat' restaurants get their comeuppance
- 8 Tributes paid to much-loved family man who died in A143 crash
- 9 MP 'not concerned' about single Omicron case in north Norfolk
- 10 Luxury manor for sale with a 'Hobbit house' in the grounds
This event raised just under �2,000, including the donation of �700 from the Sportspark, which was raised from customers donating their change for copies of the Eastern Daily Press and Norwich Evening News, through a promotion in conjunction with Archant Norfolk.
With various marathons run and mountains climbed by Mike's former friends and team mates, the total funds raised on behalf of the Meningitis Trust by members of the University hockey club, past and present, now exceeds �25,000.
Acting director of sport at Sportspark, Maria Rowe, said: 'The UEA hockey club should be very proud of their efforts and all the money they have raised over the last 10 years for the Meningitis Trust.
'I'm sure Mike's family are touched by the support his team-mates and friends have given to increasing awareness and ensuring this annual event takes place.
'I'm really pleased that the Sportspark has been able to add to this year's donation thanks to our generous customers.'
Are you raising money in memory of a loved one? Contact reporter David Freezer on 01603 772418 or email@example.com