Funding boost for Great Yarmouth’s roller skating centre Retroskate
- Credit: Archant
A roller skating centre has been given a cash injection to help it take its sessions to community groups and schools across Great Yarmouth.
Retroskate on the resort's Golden Mile has been awarded a grant of £8,488 from Sport England's Inspired Facilities fund.
The money will enable the community interest company to deliver an outreach skating programme that aims to introduce around 500 people to the sport.
Director Gaynor Read said: 'We have been here five years and never had anything like this. Now we have finally had recognition for the sport and what we do.'
The rink is the only one in the UK that supports an artistic club as well as recreational sessions. It has already produced a crop of local talent including national champions and works with all ages and abilities.
You may also want to watch:
Under the scheme schools, colleges and community groups will be able to access free taster sessions and more formal coaching through the funding, which will also provide skates.
The community groups will include vulnerable adults, GP exercise referrals, young carers, people in recovery from alcohol and substance abuse and young people drawn from pupil referral units.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 3 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 4 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 5 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 6 Two people arrested during police operation in south Norfolk
- 7 Furious Scout group demands apology from council in unpaid rents saga
- 8 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 9 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 10 'A lovely talented man': Tributes to Cromer Pier Show headliner Phil Butler
Margaret Denham, interim president of the Federation of Artistic Roller Skating, said: 'I can assure you this is very hard to come by for any sport let alone a minority sport such as roller skating. Their high standards promoting and participating in the sport means they have already several British champions within their ranks. The history of roller skating in Great Yarmouth from the professionals of Jocelyn Taylor and George Thompson who created some wonderful shows at the open air rink on Yarmouth sea front and became world champions, now lives on.'
Does your minority sport need a boost? Email email@example.com.