FT: Norwich City 0, Southend United 0
CHRIS LAKEY The Canaries left the field at half-time and full-time to boos of the Carrow Road crowd ringing in their ears after a frustrating game against the Championship's bottom club today.
The Canaries left the field at half-time to boos of the Carrow Road crowd ringing in their ears after a frustrating first half against the Championship's bottom club today.
City had clear opportunities in the opening minute with Efe Sodje almost putting the ball past his own keeper and then Dion Dublin volleying wide of the target.
Leading scorer Robert Earnshaw failed to take advantage of a good City break on 10 minutes but from then on Southend managed to get back into the game and frustrate the Canaries.
Tormentor in chief was pintsized ring-winger Jamal Campbell-Ryce, who had the beating of left-back Andy Hughes - a late replacement for skipper Adam Drury.
Apart from Drury's absence City sent out an unchanged side from the team that drew 2-2 at Wolves on Saturday, although Southend were without their star striker Freddy Eastwood, ruled out with a virus.
- 1 Revealed: Why wasps chase you and how to get rid of them this summer
- 2 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 3 Drought declared in Norfolk
- 4 Nine fire crews battling large field blaze near Norwich
- 5 Corrections made to prices at Yarmouth's new leisure centre
- 6 Smoke billows over Norwich as fire breaks out at Mousehold Heath
- 7 Six fire crews battle large field blaze in south Norfolk
- 8 Behind the scenes at Britain's most dilapidated hospital
- 9 Where will be the hottest place in Norfolk this weekend?
- 10 Firefighters tackling large fire near country park
Ten minutes into the second half, Efetobore Sodje was sent off after a knee-high tackle on Dickson Etuhu.
t Adam Drury was named on the initial team sheet, but a hip injury during warm-up promoted Jurgen Colin to the starting line-up, with Craig Fleming moving into Colin's space on the bench.
t Norwich City: Gallacher, Colin, Shackell, Doherty, Hughes, Croft, Etuhu, Robinson, Huckerby, Dublin, Earnshaw . Subs: Lewis, Thorne, Safri, McVeigh, Fleming.
t Southend United: Flahavan, Hunt, Clarke, Sodje, Hammell, Campbell-Ryce, Maher, Riera, Gower, Bradbury, Harrold. Subs: Welch, Francis, Barrett, Paynter, Hooper.
t Referee: Andy Hall (West Midlands). Last appearance at Carrow Road was in February, when he officiated in the 2-0 win over Derby, the goals coming from Jonatan Johansson and Darren Huckerby. He booked Youssef Safri and Peter Thorne.