From Light to shade for City youngsters

Sunderland U18s 6, Norwich City U18s 1: For the second consecutive season a long trip to the North East saw City's academy side make an early exit from the FA Youth Cup

Sunderland 6, Norwich City 1

For the second consecutive season a long trip to the North East saw City's academy side make an early exit from the FA Youth Cup

Last season they fell at the hands of Newcastle United, this time it was the turn of Sunderland to send Ricky Martin's side out of the competition at the Stadium of Light.

Martin had two star players missing with striker Kris Renton recovering from a broken leg while keeper Declan Rudd is sidelined after a knee operation. With Jed Steer too young to play in the competition Martin drafted in Luke Emson from Ely.

The Black Cats made all the early running and should have opened the scoring after two minutes when Nathan Luscombe was put clear but his final touch let him down in front of goal.

Next it was the turn of Martin Waghorn, but City captain Paul McLean did just enough to prevent him getting a shot on target.

Most Read

After 22 minutes the home side opened the scoring when a clearance from Emson fell to Jordan Henderson, who shot over the City keeper from 35 yards.

The lead was short-lived as City hit back a minute later when defender Danny Kelly rose at the far post to head home a Damon Lathrope corner.

Sunderland regained the lead on 27 minutes with a powerful header from Waghorn. And five minutes before the break City found themselves with a mountain to climb when Adam Reed's shot took a wicked deflection to leave the unlucky Emson wrong footed.

City might have reduced the arrears shortly after the break but Ross Kelly saw an effort go inches wide. After 57 minutes Sunderland all but wrapped the tie up after a mistake at the back allowed Waghorn to score his second with a simple tap in.

Martin introduced Nick Davey, who had scored against Arsenal last week, and the City striker will feel he should have done better when he fired wide after Sunderland keeper Martin Hunter had fumbled.

Sunderland made it five on 80 minutes when substitute Ryan Noble raced clear to beat Emson who was clearly struggling with a leg injury. Without a substitute keeper, Martin was forced to put defender Sam Habergham in goal for the final few minutes but he could not prevent Waghorn completing his hat-trick.

Sunderland: Hunter, Kay, Hourihane (Adams 82), Reed (Cook 45), Cornforth, McArdle, Henderson, Colback, Home-Jackson (Noble 77), Waghorn, Luscombe.

Norwich: Emson (Habergham 87), Cooper, O'Toole, Lathrope, McLean, D Kelly (Stephens 81), R Kelly, Miller, Daley, Yong, Smith (Davey 55). Subs not used: Adeyemi, Dawkin. Attendance: 487.