Friendly: King’s Lynn Town 1, Wisbech Town 4
Ex-Linnets Chris Bacon and Dubi Ogbonna came back to haunt King's Lynn Town at The Walks today as Wisbech Town breezed to a convincing pre-season derby victory.
Steve Appleby's Fenmen - who play one level below the Linnets in the non-league ladder - were by far the better side in the first half as they strolled into a 3-0 lead.
Bacon opened the scoring from the penalty spot in the eighth minute after he had been brought down by Linnets keeper Alex Street. The striker had latched onto a huge clearance from Wisbech number one Lea Jordan which split Gary Setchell's side's defence far too easily.
And the gifts kept coming for the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division visitors when Steve Spriggs' poorly-hit back pass was cut out by Ogbonna who slotted home from close range just minutes later.
Wisbech dominated the rest of the half's exchanges with Adam Millson dictating play in the middle of the park. And it soon got better for the Fenmen just on the stroke of half-time.
You may also want to watch:
Classy midfielder Rogan McGeorge cut inside Dan Buhlemann and curled the ball home to put an impressive Wisbech side 3-0 ahead.
Lynn improved somewhat after the break but the Fenmen grabbed a fourth when Ogbonna scored a fine breakaway goal.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 3 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 4 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 5 Holiday park bosses pay tribute to 'popular' worker murdered in Norfolk village
- 6 'Destination' fish and chip restaurant for sale
- 7 New virus named after Norfolk village
- 8 Eleven people taken to hospital after Banham Poultry chemical spill
- 9 Lord mayor criticises campaigner in email - and mistakenly copies them in
- 10 The 5 most viewed homes on the market in Norfolk last month
Midfielder Spriggs did score a consolation for Setchell's side but all in all it was a deflating afternoon for The Walks outfit - compounded by the fact that last season's player of the year, Stuart Wall, limped off with what looked a serious knee/ankle injury.
• King's Lynn: Street, Watson, Gulliver, Wall, Buhlemann, Spriggs, Quigley, Bunting, Thurlbourne, Turner, Forshaw
• Subs used: Beaumont, Nyang, Fryatt, Ward
• Subs not used: Livoti
• Goal: Spriggs (81)
• Wisbech: Jordan, Spafford, Cousins, Fairweather, Cartwright, McGeorge, Millson, Reid, Gale, Bacon, Ogbonna
• Subs used: Mowbray, Roberts, Cubberley, Mattless
• Subs not used: Jimson
• Goals: Bacon (pen, 8), Ogbonna (10, 79), McGeorge (45+1)
• Attendance: 467
• Referee: M. McIntyre
• Visit the website on Monday to see a gallery of pictures and more reaction from today's game