Former King’s Lynn Town striker Smith told he can be Spalding United’s ‘beast’
- Credit: Ian Burt
Striker Gregg Smith is in line to make his Spalding United return this evening after ending a brief stint with King's Lynn Town.
The big frontman only joined the Linnets in October but having been restricted to just 20 appearances – eight of which came from the substitutes' bench – decided to head for The Walks exit door. Smith picked up more bookings (eight) than he did goals for Gary Setchell's side (five) and will begin life back with the Tulips at Brigg Town tonight.
Spalding boss Pat Rayment, whose side play one level below Evo-Stik Premier Division Lynn, told the Spalding Voice: 'He'll give us a real presence and he's going to frighten centre halves in this league.
'He was here when I first took over, but is a different player now. He scored 20 goals for Grantham Town at Step Three – and that's why Gary Setchell took him to King's Lynn.
'Yes, he comes with a reputation for getting a few bookings – but I believe in him, he's an absolute beast. I know King's Lynn are a little sorry to lose him. We've got a good relationship with Lynn and Gary, so there was no need for a seven-day approach.'
You may also want to watch:
The 25-year-old's departure leaves Setchell with just two recognised strikers in his first-team squad, Michael Frew and Sam Mulready.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 3 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 4 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 5 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 6 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 7 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 8 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 9 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 10 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash