Former King’s Lynn Stars captain Mads Korneliussen ready for his big Norfolk Arena testimonial
- Credit: IAN BURT
Speedway returns to King's Lynn tomorrow on what will be a special occasion for Mads Korneliussen.
Riders and fans from across the continent will come together to celebrate the Dane's 10 years of riding on the British scene. The 30-year-old, who became a fans' favourite during his three seasons at Lynn, admits however that it's going to be weird to be the centre of attention at this campaign's curtain-raiser.
Korneliussen said: 'I think it will be emotionally weird. Believe it or not, I really don't like attention, so that's probably what I'm going to hate the most is having a whole day about me. Probably that's why I do a sport with a helmet on.'
The former Lynn captain, who has also ridden in the UK for Newport, Swindon and Peterborough, will star for his new club Leicester during the four-man four-team tournament. He has chosen teams and riders – some of whom will feature for ex-sides on the day – that are close to his heart and expects plenty of exciting action – even though it is a friendly.
He said: 'They're people I enjoyed riding with and some of them are really good friends. I've asked a lot of riders and nobody's turned it down because they didn't want to ride in my meeting, they just had other commitments on the day. It hasn't been that hard finding riders which is a slap on the shoulders, people saying 'you're an alright guy'.
You may also want to watch:
'It's the beginning of the season and the team talk I will have for the riders before the meeting is 'go out and have fun, enjoy and do a bit of testing'. But we all know it can't be done. It's always about racing. With them riders in that meeting, I don't want to lose to any one of them, so it's going to be competitive, that's for sure.'
The Swindon Robins' asset rode on 'loan' for Rob Lyon's side from 2011 to 2013 but remains disappointed he wasn't handed a Stars' slot for 2014. He is now determined to impress with Elite League new-boys Leicester Lions.
- 1 New virus named after Norfolk village
- 2 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 3 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 4 Holiday park bosses pay tribute to 'popular' worker murdered in Norfolk village
- 5 No club record bid from City for Armstrong
- 6 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 7 'Destination' fish and chip restaurant for sale
- 8 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 9 Eleven people taken to hospital after Banham Poultry chemical spill
- 10 Driving instructor shares terrifying videos of NDR near misses
- For more build-up to Mads' big day hear the Dane on this week's special West Norfolk Sports Podcast, hosted by King's Lynn-based reporter Gavin Caney, at www.edp24.co.uk/wnsp