First taste of Formula One adventure for Norfolk racer George Russell
- Credit: Submitted
George Russell had his first taste of a Formula One car when he tested a former Jenson Button race winning McLaren MP4-26 at Silverstone.
'It was an absolute honour to get my first ever test in Formula One, with McLaren – one of, if not the, most prestigious teams on the grid,' he said. 'F1 has always been what I've dreamed of and to get the chance to have a taste of an F1 car so early in my career was incredible.'
The Norfolk racer completed three runs consisting of four or five flying laps in the 2011 Canadian Grand Prix winning car as part of his prize for winning the McLaren Autosport BRDC Young Driver of the Year Award at the end of last year.
Having recently tested a Formula Renault 3.5 single seater, which he found heavy to turn, Russell was surprised at how easy the inputs were with the Grand Prix McLaren.
'This was light, like playing a racing game,' he said. 'It's precise, you can do what you want with it. The blown diffuser was also impressive. Just get on the throttle and it really plants the rear.
You may also want to watch:
'The speed, grip and brakes on the car were extremely impressive, but I was really happy with myself how quickly I managed to get used to it and really start to push on and get the car on the limit. It was an unbelievable feeling.'
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 3 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 4 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 5 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 6 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 7 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 8 Norfolk Day 2021: Your must-have guide to all events
- 9 Man in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 10 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job