First round draw throws up the latest Norfolk derby in the FA Vase
- Credit: Eddie Deane
Thetford Town and Great Yarmouth Town will lock horns in the next round of the FA Vase.
Yesterday's draw for the first round threw up another cracking Norfolk derby – the second in a row for both Thetford and Yarmouth in the competition.
The latter won 3-1 at Fakenham Town on Saturday to secure their safe passage from the second qualifying round while Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division counterparts Thetford were 2-0 home winners over First Division Downham Town.
Swaffham Town's reward for a 4-1 win at Huntingdon Town is a daunting trip to United Counties League Premier Division high-fliers Peterborough Sports. Gorleston, also in the hat for the next stage on October 22, will know all about the Pedlars' opponents having been smashed 8-0 there in the FA Cup earlier this season.
The Greens will have to beat a side from well outside the area if they are to pocket £675 prize money next month and keep their hopes alive of a run in the prestigious non-league knockout for teams plying their trade at Step Five and Six of the pyramid. Barking will be the visitors to Gorleston, like March Town United (beaten 3-2) were at the weekend.
You may also want to watch:
This evening's Thurlow Nunn League action will see Downham look to bounce back from their, in truth expected, weekend defeat when they go in search of three home points against Haverhill Borough.
Two levels above Downham, Ryman League Division One North trio Dereham Town, Wroxham and Norwich United will also be focusing on their bread and butter.
- 1 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 2 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 3 Hospital confirms two patients have died from Covid
- 4 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 5 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 6 More than 70 speeding drivers snared in police day of action
- 7 City bar owner tells clubbers: 'Turn off Covid app'
- 8 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 9 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 10 Person dies after being hit by train
Town, 1-0 winners at AFC Hornchurch on Saturday, are on the road again, this time at Witham Town. Wroxham are also on their travels as they look to build on back-to-back draws. If they win at Soham Town Rangers this evening it will be their first triumph of 2016/17.
Promoted United's progress was checked with a 1-0 home defeat to Waltham Abbey. So they will be keen to get back on track when Brightlingsea Regent make the journey to Plantation Park.
Jamie Speller returns to the Planters' squad after completing his suspension while FA Youth Cup winner with Norwich City, Cameron Norman, is in line to make his first start after coming off the bench to make his debut at the weekend.