First race wins sets up Edwards’ Norwich Frostbite victory for Norfolk against Wells

Frostbites' Norfolk race before the first leg of their match against Wells SC attracted 14 starters started in two sections, moved on their way by a Force 1-2 southwesterly.

Kevin and Ellie Edwards made a cracking start and were soon out of reach of the rest of the first start to win by almost four minutes over Ray Johnson and Pat Woodcock, who finally kept Mike Lees and Joe Kingston at bay.

However, the elements favoured the second start, where Ian Tims and Martin Devlin took the honours, after despatching a serious challenge from David and Suzanne Yapp, the early pacemakers, while Paul and Elise Carrington and David and Kate Mackley joined in to pass the Yapps and take the next two places. On amalgamation, Edwards' lead over Tims was a mere 11 seconds, with Carrington third.

So to the three-boat-per-side team match. The secret to winning this two-legged contest is avoiding whitewash on the away leg.

Wells will be relying on Frostbite capsizes, or the planting of a few mines, to salvage any hopes after the hosts comprehensively beat them in both races. Only Martin Read and Alan Coe put up any resistance, starting in front in the second race and holding second place for a full round until David and Kate Mackley exercised their team racing skills to delay Read to let David Yapp and Kevin Edwards through whilst not losing their own position.

The visitors didn't even have the comfort of pleading uncharted shallows, thanks to the BA's recent dredging programme. Still, all ended well, and a convivial lunch followed.

At Rollesby a Committee boat start saw the Wayfarers dominate the multi-sail races. In the first, Bob Sparrow and Tony Gibbs led from a port start making the most of the bias on the beat to romp home. Peter Dearnley and Di Seeley deployed the spinnaker to devastating effect on the short runs to take the second race.

Most Read

Amongst the 17 single-handers it was a 'tortoise and hare' affair as the Phantoms strove to open a sufficient gap on the Solos, while the Lasers were not at all happy.

The first race saw the Solos take the leading four places, but in the second Laurence Milton restored a ghost of pride by beating Roger Wilson by three seconds and Ian Ayres by eight. The afternoon mixed race suffered a drop in wind, enabling the Solos to keep pace with the Albacore (Daniel Bradford and Dennis Manning) and the Phantom to take first two places, credit to James Denley, Rob Ward, and Antony Barnes who persisted to finish after the leaders had packed up.

Wind direction dictated a change of plan at Snowflakes, where the passage race to Thurne was replaced by a trip round Salhouse Broad and back. There was little incident to report, James and Bob Buntin emerging as winners, with Gary Ross and Stephen Dixon second.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter