Financial boost for Hellesdon triathlete Sophie Alden
- Credit: Submitted
Hellesdon triathlete Sophie Alden is one of 30 athletes to receive support from a new charity partnership.
The 16-year-old will benefit from the 2015 BNY Mellon Boat Races Charity Partnership with SportsAid.
The 30 athletes will be supported by staff from BNY Mellon or Newton, a boutique of BNY Mellon Investment Management, who will develop the athletes' media and PR skills, as well as attend health and nutrition workshops and other initiatives.
Sophie said: 'Just over a year ago I had a new bike, but I will need another for the new season. Bikes typically start at around £2,500 and then another £1,000 for the wheels.
'A major part of the junior racing is abroad, so this funding will help towards travel costs.'
You may also want to watch:
SportsAid is dedicated to helping the next generation of British sports stars by giving them financial support and recognition during the early years of their careers.
At the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, almost two-thirds of the British team were former – and in a few cases current – recipients of SportsAid's support, winning 20 Olympic and 27 Paralympic gold medals between them.
- 1 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 2 Latest situation on fuel sees more queues despite continued assurances
- 3 Jailed in Norfolk: Paedophiles and man caught with £15k of cannabis
- 4 Former DJ and worker at Norfolk school was a 'deviant sexual predator'
- 5 Seaside restaurant hit with zero food hygiene rating
- 6 Roadworks to be aware of in Norfolk this week
- 7 Flowers left by road in tribute after man's death
- 8 'It's looking bleak' - City taxi firms respond to panic-buying at the pumps
- 9 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 10 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
Tim Lawler, SportsAid's chief executive, said: 'These athletes are some of our brightest prospects and will find this support from BNY Mellon and Newton absolutely invaluable. They already give everything to sport so the extra training, recognition and funding will be a massive confidence boost that could make a lifelong impact on them.
'If everyone watching the boat races this year gets behind the next generation with SportsAid, British sport will be in great shape for the future.'
For further details, visit www.sportsaid.org.uk