Teamwork the key for Poringland’s Josh Files at Monza
- Credit: Photo 4
Josh Files' hopes of lifting the TCR Europe title all but vanished at the previous round – but the Norfolk racer was keen to bounce back and help his HELL Energy Honda Civic squad in the fight of the Teams title.
'I'm mathematically in with a shot at the drivers' title, but realistically that ended at Assen,' admitted the Poringland driver prior to the event.
'I personally have nothing to lose now, so the intention is to be fighting for wins in both races to score maximum points in a bid for the Teams' Championship.'
To that end, Files claimed third place on the grid for the opening race at Monza in Italy and was made to work hard to keep the position throughout the race and claim his third podium visit of the season.
'I am happy with the result,' reflected Files. 'It was a tough race and quite hard work, but I had fun.
You may also want to watch:
'There was quite some fighting and in the last laps it was hard to stay ahead of (Maxime) Potty, but I made it and it's nice to be on the podium. The car was good, but we did not have the same pace of the guys up front.'
The Honda racer started race two from seventh place and worked with team-mate Attila Tassi in the final laps to ensure that they both finished on the podium behind double winner Jean-Karl Vernay.
- 1 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 2 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 3 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 4 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 5 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 6 Man was found dead after lockdown hit business, inquest told
- 7 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 8 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 9 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Loan possibility remains for Skipp
As the second race got underway Files slotted into fourth place which he then turned into third, only for Potty to grab the position before a couple of safety car periods.
As the race entered its final laps Files and Tassi worked together to unseat Potty and ensure the pair finished in second and third places respectively.
'What an absolute mega weekend,' reflected Files. 'I wasn't sure if we would even make the top 10, let alone two podium finishes. I'm absolutely over the moon. Better still, Attila was right there with me and we massively closed the gap in the Teams Championship to just seven points.'
'I've had really great pace all weekend, and we've been able to help all the Honda guys which makes me really happy for these results. HELL Energy by KCMG did a mega job, the car was on point and I cannot thank them all enough.
'Bring on Barcelona.'