Fenmen’s winning run halted by title hopefuls
Wisbech Town's run of five successive Premier Division wins came to a halt with a 1-0 defeat at home to fellow high-flyers Brantham on Saturday.
The Fenmen's incredible run of form, which dated back to early October, had seen them rise to third in the table, but a first half goal from Adam Bloss sealed the points for the visitors.
Brantham have now closed the gap on leaders Wroxham to just one point, with both sides having played 18 games.
Kirkley & Pakefield were involved in a nine-goal thriller at CRC – but Paul Tong's side came away with nothing after a 5-4 defeat.
Dominic Smith netted twice for the Royals and Kyle Baker was on target, while there was also an own goal, but CRC emerged triumphant at the Abbey Stadium.
You may also want to watch:
With the division's Norfolk contingent taking a break from league duty because of the Norfolk Senior Cup, Ely moved up to third with a 2-0 win at FC Clacton.
Stanway Rovers, however, were unable to close the gap on the two teams just above them in the table, Dereham and Norwich United, as they slipped to a 2-0 defeat at home to Woodbridge Town.
- 1 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 2 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 3 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 4 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 5 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 6 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 7 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 8 Norfolk Day 2021: Your must-have guide to all events
- 9 Man in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 10 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job
Wivenhoe drew level on points with Kirkley & Pakefield courtesy of their 0-0 draw at Mildenhall and Hadleigh moved above Haverhill with a 3-1 victory over their Suffolk rivals. Felixstowe & Walton United thumped Walsham-le-Willows 4-1.
In the First Division, there was a dream start for Swaffham debutant Alex Vincent as he put the Pedlars ahead after just eight minutes of their home match against Debenham LC.
But the day gradually turned sour for the hosts after Debenham equalised four minutes later from a free-kick. The visitors went ahead on 65 minutes and added a third soon afterwards, before a late penalty completed the scoring.
It was a happier day for Downham Town as they registered a 2-0 win at home to Halstead.
With Thetford in Norfolk Senior Cup action, Whitton United extended their lead at the top to two points with a 3-3 draw against Brightling-sea Regent, although Thetford now have four games in hand.
• Ridgeons League Cup quarter-final draw: Felixstowe & Walton Utd v Stanway Rovers, Mildenhall Tn or Kirkley & Pakefield v Dereh-am Tn, Norwich Utd v FC Clacton, Wroxham v Haverhill Rovers.