Fakenham Town 0 Leicester City XI 7 – Young Foxes prove their talents at Clipbush Park
- Credit: Tony Miles
The youngsters of Premier League champions Leicester City proved far too strong for Fakenham Town at Clipbush Park.
There were no big names on display for supporters to feast their eyes upon, but the football more than made up for it, with the first half being a real defensive test for the Ghosts, and they stood firm until the 30th minute when Danny Rowe opened the scoring.
With a first-half thunderstorm looming in the distance, and the downpour that came with it resulting in a very slippery surface, a passing game was made that bit more tricky and that was to be the only goal of the half, as Fakenham went in at the midway point content that they'd shown the Premier League side's development players that they weren't going to roll over.
Into the second half, and an early second goal from Leicester's Matthew Miles threw the Ghosts off their stride. A third was added 10 minutes later as Harvey Barnes beat Rix in the Fakenham goal.
A fourth followed on 67 minutes, Kairo Mitchell this time finding the net, but the visitors weren't yet finished, as Michael Cain scored with the help of a wicked deflection.
You may also want to watch:
Lamine Sheriff fired a drive from distance, which beat the unsighted keeper, and Rowe completed the scoring with his second as the tie neared its end.
Fakenham now prepare for the visit of a development side from Norwich City on Saturday (3pm), with turnstile entry available, priced at adults £8 and children £4.
- 1 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 2 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 3 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 4 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 5 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 6 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 7 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 8 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 9 Going full term during this coronavirus pandemic fills me with absolute terror
- 10 Carer caught on CCTV letting dog scratch vulnerable pensioner
Fakenham chairman Andrew Jarvis said: 'It was great to see so many supporting the teams here tonight. We've got a fantastic facility, and the players certainly appreciate good support.
'We'd also like to thank Leicester City Football Club for making the fixture possible, they've been fantastic as well.'
Fakenham: Rix, Sam Garner, Stu Garner, Youngs, Gilchrist, Franks, Dye, Harvey (C), Plumb, Jarvis, Brain
Leicester: Bramley, Knight, Dabayo, Cain (C), Kipre, Johnson, Miles, Trialist, Mitchell, Rowe, Barnes