Fakenham meeting postponed after torrential rain
- Credit: Ian Burt
Tuesday's planned six-race card at Fakenham was abandoned on Monday after torrential rain at the north Norfolk racecourse.
Areas of false ground were the main problem when clerk of the course David Hunter carried out an inspection of the track yesterday at around 2pm.
Hunter said: 'We've had 19 millimetres of rain in the last 12 hours and we've got some false patches and slippery areas of ground. The decision was taken to abandon the meeting because of this, caused by excessive rain.'
There had been 14 millimetres of overnight rain and the forecast promised more for today.
A total of 38 horses had been declared to run in the six races including recent winners at the course, Shaky Gift, Izbushka, Global Domination and Mystic Sky while leading riders Noel Fehily, Harry Skelton and Brendan Powell booked to ride.
You may also want to watch:
It is the first meeting to be abandoned at Fakenham in the 2015/16 season.
This afternoon's meeting planned for Leicester is subject to an 8am inspection today while tomorrow's meeting scheduled for Newcastle, was also abandoned yesterday.
- 1 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 2 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 3 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 4 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 5 Road through village closed by floodwater
- 6 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 7 Armed police detain man after 18 hours of negotiations
- 8 'I am heartbroken' - Woman's two cats killed by 'reckless' drivers
- 9 13 cars targeted in tyre-slashing spree
- 10 Coronavirus outbreak at construction company working on County Hall
The next meeting at Fakenham is scheduled for Thursday, January 28.