Fakenham meeting postponed after torrential rain
- Credit: Ian Burt
Tuesday's planned six-race card at Fakenham was abandoned on Monday after torrential rain at the north Norfolk racecourse.
Areas of false ground were the main problem when clerk of the course David Hunter carried out an inspection of the track yesterday at around 2pm.
Hunter said: 'We've had 19 millimetres of rain in the last 12 hours and we've got some false patches and slippery areas of ground. The decision was taken to abandon the meeting because of this, caused by excessive rain.'
There had been 14 millimetres of overnight rain and the forecast promised more for today.
A total of 38 horses had been declared to run in the six races including recent winners at the course, Shaky Gift, Izbushka, Global Domination and Mystic Sky while leading riders Noel Fehily, Harry Skelton and Brendan Powell booked to ride.
You may also want to watch:
It is the first meeting to be abandoned at Fakenham in the 2015/16 season.
This afternoon's meeting planned for Leicester is subject to an 8am inspection today while tomorrow's meeting scheduled for Newcastle, was also abandoned yesterday.
- 1 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 3 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 4 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 5 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 6 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 7 Family pays tribute to man killed after collision with double-decker bus
- 8 ATM containing thousands of pounds stolen from petrol station
- 9 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 10 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
The next meeting at Fakenham is scheduled for Thursday, January 28.