FA Vase round-up: Gorleston and Thetford through to second round

Thetford v Great Yarmouth TownFA Vase2210 2016

Thetford v Great Yarmouth TownFA Vase2210 2016 - Credit: Archant

Gorleston and Thetford Town are still flying the Norfolk flag after both moved into the second round of the FA Vase at the weekend.

The Greens were keen to get back to winning ways after a disappointing Norfolk Senior Cup exit to Fakenham and they took the lead in injury time at the end of the first half against Barking. A quick throw-in from Jack Garrod on the right saw Connor Ingram get to the by line. He pulled the ball back to Garrod who hit in a low, hard cross. Keeper Green could only push the ball out into the path of Watts who fired it into the goal with the last kick of the half.

Gorleston almost doubled their lead when substitute Keegan Middleton's defence-splitting pass sent Ingram through on goal. The youngster's effort was well saved and Barking managed to snuff out the danger.

However, moments later Ingram again found himself powering behind the defence and in on goal. This time he guided his low, left-footed shot past the keeper into the bottom corner.

With a two-goal cushion, Gorleston were able to keep the ball and knock it around whilst also making sure they kept a solid defensive block to put themselves into the second round draw.

Thetford Town also confirmed their place in the next round with an excellent 2-1 win against Great Yarmouth Town.

Bruno Tavares' 25-yard effort put Thetford on their way and Robbie Priddle made it 2-0 early in the second half after meeting Cameron King's inch-perfect cross.

Most Read

Yarmouth rallied and Sean Perfect's 65-minute strike set up a tense finish, but Thetford held on. It is the first time in five years the Brecklanders have been so far in the competition.

Swaffham Town endured an afternoon to forget as they were hammered 6-0 at United Counties League leaders Peterborough Sports. The Pedlars' Jahy Chima had to be replaced by Tony Millward before half-time with suspected concussion and it got worse for the visitors when keeper Dan Gentry was shown a straight red card. With no goalkeeper on the bench midfielder Luke Reed took over the goalkeeping gloves but he couldn't stop his side from slipping to a heavy defeat.

Ashley Jarvis was on target for Fakenham Town but Haverhill Rovers claimed a 2-1 victory whilst Walsham-le-Willows were beaten 1-0 at home to Tring Athletic.

In Thurlow Nunn Division One Downham Town claimed all three points at Leiston Reserves thanks to James Dougal's strike whilst King's Lynn Town Reserves went down to a 3-2 defeat at home to Halstead.

Wisbech St Mary were outclassed in a 3-0 loss at AFC Sudbury Reserves whilst Diss Town were hammered 4-0 at Coggeshall. March Town lost 4-1 at home to Woodbridge Town and Dereham Town Reserves were defeated 3-2 at Whitton United.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter