FA Vase: Gorleston 2, Newmarket Town 0

Gorleston progressed into the first round of the FA Vase with this hard fought victory.

The Greens made two enforced changes to the side that had drawn at Brantham. Jack Whatmough replaced the unavailable Elliot Pride in goal whilst George Jermy replaced the unwell Ricci Butler.

Gorleston were forced into a change after just seven minutes. Steve Taylor was injured in a third minute challenge and limped on before eventually being substituted by Jack Marsden.

It was Newmarket who began the stronger and would have taken the lead after eleven minutes but for an excellent point blank save by Whatmough with his legs from Tony Wright.

From the resulting corner Gorleston broke with Christy Finch forcing Kevin Bugg in the Jockeys goal to save his effort.

The Greens were not keeping the ball well with the Jockeys dominating the middle of the park and Whatmough again denied Wright, saving at his feet, midway through the half.

The deadlock was broken after 26 minutes. Chris Sandford helped the ball on to Finch whose rasping drive from 22 yards rocketed into the net.

Most Read

Within two minutes a flying Whatmough save from Paul Betson's effort, after Gorleston had given the ball away, kept the Greens ahead.

Gorleston had taken time to settle, chiefly due to how hard Newmarket were working to deny the space, but the Greens began the second half with more purpose.

Gary Williams hit an early shot over three minutes into the second period. A minute later Reece Hunn chased a lost cause into the corner flag, Williams flicking the ball on to Finch but the ball wouldn't come down for him, and he lifted it over the bar under pressure.

The next minute Finch was in again from a Sandford through ball but Bugg saved well. On the hour mark it was Finch again with the chance but this time he dragged his shot wide.

Newmarket came back into it. David Grainger was given too much room and allowed to hit a powerful drive goalwards but Whatmough parried and held on.

A minute later Aaron Turner broke through but his effort was blocked by Andy Howell.

Jack Garrod and Turner both had tame efforts at each end as Newmarket went searching for the equaliser before Gorleston added their second in injury time.

Williams threaded the ball between defenders, who appealed in vain for offside against Garrod. The linesman waved them on and Garrod calmly rounded the keeper to tuck the ball into the goal.

There was barely time to restart the game before the final whistle blew and it is Gorleston who now face a trip to Burnham Ramblers in the first round proper on 13th October.

• Gorleston: Jack Whatmough, Adam Mills, Reece Hunn, Gary Williams, Andy Howell, Eddie Thompson, Chris Sandford, George Jermy, Christy Finch (Jack Garrod 70), Steve Taylor (Jack Marsden 7 (Bradley Hough 61)), Liam Harvey-Cooper

Bookings: Marsden (39), Williams (72)

Goals: Finch (26), Garrod (90)

• Newmarket Town: Kevin Bugg, Aaron Rutter, Ricky Cornish, Matthew Bonner, Arron Maskell (James Lane 72), Abdol Sannoh (Luke Butcher 61), Toby Dawson, David Grainger, Tony Wright (Shaun Avis 72), Aaron Turner, Paul Betson

Bookings: Cornish (24), Luke Butcher (90)

• Attendance: 92

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter