FA Cup/Thurlow Nunn round-up: Magic of the cup is alive and kicking for Gorleston and Great Yarmouth
- Credit: Archant
Gorleston and Great Yarmouth will both be in the hat for today's FA Cup first preliminary round draw after the east coast pair bagged impressive wins at the weekend.
Gorleston had to endure late drama before prevailing 3-2 at Southend Manor whilst Lee Roots got the only goal of the game for the Bloaters, who saw off Basildon United.
Ricci Butler's Greens fell behind early in the second half but Jack Garrod levelled matters before Connor Deeks put them ahead from the penalty spot after Garrod had been upended.
The tie looked to be over when Southend's Alfie Lindfield was shown a straight red card after clashing with Luke Goreham but the Essex side gained an unlikely equaliser three minutes from time.
It looked all set for a replay until Garrod got his second of the afternoon, latching on to Jay Turner's cross-cum-shot.
You may also want to watch:
Yarmouth left it late themselves as substitute Roots proved the hero of the hour in a cagey affair at the Wellesley.
Roots showed a predator's instinct to prod home from close range after Ady Ager had nodded Sean Perfect's corner into the six-yard area.
- 1 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 2 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 6 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 7 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 8 Man was found dead after lockdown hit business, inquest told
- 9 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 10 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
Swaffham bowed out of the cup despite a creditable display at Bedford - Paul Hunt's side going down 3-1. Blake Stangroome got the Pedlars' late goal.
In the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division Wroxham twice came from behind to secure a point against Stanway Rovers.
Stanway got their noses in front in the 12th minute thanks to a fine finish from Jordan Blackwell but Payton Swatman put the Yachtsmen back on terms with a 30-yard effort.
Stanway thought they had got the winner 15 minutes from time when Owen Akpiama netted from close range but Craig Bussens ensured a share of the spoils with a header. Stanway almost snatched the points late on but Will Viner produced a fine save to deny Taylor Bannister.
Thetford Town made it four wins out of five after a 2-0 win at FC Clacton. Goals from Robbie Priddle and Tanner Call gave the Brecklanders all three points and moved them up to second in the table.
Kirkley & Pakefield are still searching for their first win of the season after a 2-2 draw at Histon whilst Fakenham lost their fourth game on the spin after a 2-1 defeat at home to Wivenhoe - Stuart Garner getting the goal for the Ghosts.
In the First Division King's Lynn Town Reserves beat Holland 4-0 and Norwich United Reserves lost 3-2 at home to Needham Market's second string.