FA Cup: Second chance for Dereham as Norwich United and Wroxham see dreams end

Action from Norwich United against Histon. Norwich United player Shaun Wones. Picture: DENISE BRADLE

Action from Norwich United against Histon. Norwich United player Shaun Wones. Picture: DENISE BRADLEY - Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016

And then there was one...The FA Cup dreams of Wroxham, Kirkley & Pakefield, Norwich United and Wisbech Town are over – while Dereham Town need a replay tomorrow night to reach the first qualifying round.

The Magpies were held 4-4 at Yaxley in their preliminary round clash on Saturday, while Wroxham went down 2-1 at Deeping Rangers, Norwich United lost 2-1 at home to Histon, Kirkley & Pakefield went down by the odd goal in seven at home to Holbeach United and Wisbech lost 4-1 at home to Peterborough Sports.

Dereham went behind in the 14th minute but levelled just before the break.

There looked to be little danger when Rhys Logan had possession in midfield, but he unleashed a stunning 28-yard swerving drive to make it all square.

Yaxley went ahead again, eight minutes after the restart, but Dereham hit back again, when Craig Bussens guided home Vadim Costandchi's cross two minutes later.

You may also want to watch:

Dereham went ahead for the first time on 70 minutes when Tom Walters scored from the spot after David Radomski was upended by the keeper.

But the topsy-turvy game wasn't over: Yaxley's Liam Hook made it 3-3 in the 74th minute and the home side went in front again in the 84th minute.

Most Read

Just when it looked like Dereham were on the way out, a deflected pass by the home keeper gifted the ball to Craig Bussens who levelled from close range to set up a replay, with the winners facing Holbeach United, who came out on top after a thriller at Kirkley.

The hosts were seemingly down and out at half-time, trailing 3-0. Ten minutes into the second half it was 4-0 – but Kirkley hit back with goals from Nathan Stone, a Woodrow penalty and Herbert before their brave fightback was ended.

All the goals at Plantation Park came in the first half, with an own goal giving Norwich United the lead, before Simon Unwin and Cameron Watson earned Histon victory while Edgaras Buzas' 80th-minute goal was merely a consolation for Wisbech Town.

The romance of the cup is dead for Wroxham, who went down at lower level Deeping Rangers.

A game affected by a strong wind running from one end of the pitch to the other meant it was always going to be a scrappy affair. Two goals from Scott Mooney were enough to cancel out Jordan Rocastle's first goal of the season for the Yachtsmen.

In a side that saw two changes to the midweek defeat at Dereham due to non-availability, Damian Hilton's side were out-muscled by their hosts.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus