FA CUP: Lowestoft Town 7, Desborough United 1

'A home tie would be welcome!' declared Craig Fleming, one of the Blues' management team, last night ahead of today's lunchtime draw for the second qualifying round of the FA Cup.

The ex-Norwich City skipper has no fears that another good run in the competition – the Trawlerboys reached the first round proper last season – would be a good thing for them and not affect league form.

'It's quite a good money-spinner and we made a lot of money out of it last season.

'And it's good for the profile of the club. Given the choice, I would like another long run.'

He had no worries FA Cup success would detract from Lowestoft's efforts in their higher league.

'We are carrying about half-a-dozen injuries but we have strength in depth, and among the numbers we have decent players.'

Of Saturday's win, he said: 'We were very good, especially in the first half. They were magnificent.'

Most Read

The comment was echoed by joint boss Micky Chapman. 'It was a fantastic result and performance. The boys were superb.'

Lowestoft cruised through the first qualifying round over a totally outclassed Desborough. It turned out to be a harrowing day for the visitors whose coach broke down on the way to the game. They eventually arrived at 3.10pm with the kick-off put back to 3.40.

However it was worth the wait for the 566 spectators as the Trawlerboys opened the scoring within the first minute and went on to hit six unanswered goals in the first half.

Straight from the kick-off Desborough keeper Tom Smith was fortunate to escape with just a yellow card as he caught an under-hit back pass outside the penalty area.

Adam Smith's trusty left foot curled the free-kick around the defensive wall into the far side of the net to put the Blues ahead.

Lowestoft doubled their lead in the 12th minute. From a Craig Bussens corner Lee McGlone's header was cleared off the line, but the Blues' striker reclaimed the ball and when his shot was only parried by Tom Smith, Danny Bloomfield had the simple task of tapping the ball into the unguarded net.

McGlone had another goal-bound effort cleared off the line as Lowestoft continued to tear the Desborough defence apart.

The third goal came on 17 minutes from a superb run down the left by Andrew Cave-Brown whose cross to the far post was pulled back by Jamie Godbold for Andrew Fisk to rifle into the roof of the net from 15 yards.

A fine solo goal by Stuart Ainsley in the 24th minute put the Blues four goals ahead.

Receiving the ball some 30 yards out, he left two defenders standing before shooting past Smith.

The fifth goal came in the 39th minute. Another flowing move saw Godbold and Adam Smith combine down the left before feeding Forshaw to curl the ball beyond Tom Smith into the net.

Lowestoft's sixth goal arrived in the 41st minute with Jamie Godbold left with a simple tap-in following a square pass from Danny Bloomfield.

The second half could not reach the same tempo as the first.

Substitute Forshaw was looking lively and he had already gone close before he added the seventh goal in the 52nd minute.

He started the move himself with a fine run down the left before pulling the ball back to Fisk. With Smith only able to parry Fisk's shot, Forshaw was on hand to hit the loose ball into the net.

Desborough did not let their heads drop and received warm applause when they scored a consolation goal in the 65th minute with Lee Rowbotham's delightful chip dipping over Andy Reynolds into the net.

Lowestoft Town: Reynolds, Cave-Brown, A Smith (sub Marsden (56), Ainsley, Gaughran, Haynes-Brown, Godbold, Fisk (Sub Halliday 72), McGlone (Sub Forshaw 32), Bloomfield, Bussens, Subs (not used) Mitchell, Finch, Chick, P Smith.

Desborough Town: T Smith, Bird, Tolton, Jackson, Keall (Sub Donativo 72), Grant, Middleton (Sub M Harman 80), Kitching, Blaikie (Sub Thompson 67), Rogers, Rowbotham, Sub (not used) L Harman.

Referee: J Magill.

Att: 566.