FA Cup: King’s Lynn Town 3, Stratford Town 2

King's Lynn Town boss Gary Setchell believes his side deserve praise after their superb 3-2 win in a FA Cup cracker at The Walks.

The magic of the cup was evident when Danny White poked home with just three minutes remaining to put the Linnets into the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup. Jack Defty also bagged a brace for the home side with Ben Mackey and Mark Faulds replying for the visitors.

Setchell said: 'You have got to give the lads credit. They have come in for unbelievable criticism. I hope the team get all the praise they deserve after that victory, because it would have been very easy for us to fold at 1-0 down against a very good side, with Jamie Thurlbourne out and Stuart Wall coming off injured, it would have been very easy to cave.'

The Linnets welcomed back Pat Bexfield as he recovered from the injury that kept him out of the midweek draw with Sleaford, replacing Ryan Fryatt. Ben Coe also replaced Nelson Moreira.

The hosts made a disastrous start to the match and were behind in the third minute, former Coventry City striker Mackey fired home after hesitancy in the Linnets back-line. Lynn responded well and a superb long pass from Coe put in Stephen Spriggs, whose effort was eventually charged down.

Lynn had another chance in the 16th minute, Jack Defty inches away from a low cross from Coe. Stratford almost doubled their lead on 44 minutes, Danny Haynes was left unmarked from a free-kick but the full-back couldn't find the target.

Defty came close to a leveller minutes later but his far post header landed inches wide after being set up by a floated Spriggs' cross.

Most Read

The home side made a positive start to the second half, centre half Ross Watson nodded inches wide after Coe miscued his shot.

The Linnets drew level in the 51st minute, when the explosive pace of Danny Beaumont was too much for the Stratford back-line, he crossed and Defty did the rest powering home past Richard Morris.

Lynn turned the game on its head 12 minutes later and it was that man Defty again, the big number 9 beat the Stratford offside trap to deftly dink home his and King's Lynn's second. King's Lynn Town were now well on top and nearly added to their lead when Coe just failed to convert a dangerous centre from Spriggs.

Stratford equalised minutes later against the run of play through Mark Faulds, who riffled home a 25 yard strike after a weak header out of the Lynn defence. The visitors now had the momentum and Mackey flashed a shot wide when perhaps a cross was a better option.

With just three minutes remaining the home side won the game, man of the match White poked home to send the Walks into raptures. Spriggs could have sealed it right at the death, but his chip just floated over with Robbie Harris and Adam Reeve demanding a cross. In the end it was academic as Lynn held out to record a famous victory.

• King's Lynn Town: Street, Bexfield, Yong, Watson (Buhlemann), Wall, White, Spriggs, L.Thurlbourne, Defty, Beaumont (Harris), Coe (Reeve)

Unused Subs: Harris, Fryatt

Goals: Defty (51, 63), White (87)

• Stratford Town: Morris, Haynes, Baker, Holford, Gregory, Cooper, Herlihy, Faulds, Mackey, Beckley, Murphy (Blake)

Goals: Mackey (3), Faulds (73)

Bookings: Faulds.

• Attendance: 866

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter