FA Cup first qualifying round: Lowestoft Town 0 Histon 2

Chris Henderson was sent off after picking up a second yellow late in Lowestoft's disappointing FA C

Chris Henderson was sent off after picking up a second yellow late in Lowestoft's disappointing FA Cup defeat to Histon. Picture: James Bass - Credit: James Bass

An atrocious second half saw Lowestoft Town knocked out by lower-level opposition in the FA Cup first qualifying round.

Goals from Lewis Clayton and Jake Chambers-Shaw, after a sloppy mistake from goalkeeper Jake Jessup, saw the Trawlerboys eliminated.

Chris Henderson was also sent off after needlessly picking up a second yellow late on, as the rain continue to fall on a miserable afternoon at Crown Meadow.

Lowestoft boss Ady Gallagher was forced into three changes from the team which started Monday's 2-2 home draw with AFC Sudbury.

Andrew Fisk, Jake Reed and Shaun Bammant were all either unfit or unavailable, with Joe Marsden, Adam Smith and Micky Spillane coming into the starting XI.

You may also want to watch:

The visitors arrived without a win in Southern League Division One Central this season but having won 2-1 at Norwich United in the preliminary round.

They nearly surprised their higher-level hosts early on as well, after the first mistake of a shaky first half from on-loan Ipswich Town youngster Travis Cole, who was too often guilty of over-playing.

Most Read

The centre-back tried to see the ball out of play for a goal-kick in the fifth minute only to be robbed by Matty Allen and then being grateful to see the striker fire into the side-netting.

Spillane, playing in an attacking midfield role headed a Jamie Forshaw cross from the left into the back of a defender's head soon after as the Blues picked up the pace.

The first half was broken up by two injury stoppages though, with Histon forced into two changes, the first of which saw midfielder Jordan Traynier stretchered off with what appeared to be a knee injury in the 12th minute.

The Trawlerboys had the best chance of the half in the 15th minute but Henderson could only turn a cross from the right from Marsden straight at the Histon keeper from 10 yards.

Spillane was lucky not to be booked in the 27th minute after bringing down Elkanah Sibanda as he broke clear down the left wing – and then went down injured four minutes later and had to go off.

Marsden and Jarvis both headed tamely wide for Lowestoft and Henderson was unable to bring a nice cross from Marsden under control as the half drew to a close, eventually firing well wide.

The visitors nearly grabbed the lead on the stroke of half-time when Allen curled a nice effort just wide of the top-right corner from 20 yards but the tie went into the break goalless.

That soon changed in the second half though, with the Stutes claiming the lead, but only after Forshaw wasted a glorious chance in the 48th minute.

Determined defending from Barker saw an accurate clearance land nicely in front of Forshaw but the former Wroxham man hesitated and rather than lob the on-rushing keeper, he smashed a half-volley into the side netting from 30 yards.

Just a minute later, substitute Aysa Ourtibour did well to tee up Lewis Clayton on the edge of the D and the midfielder curled a lovely shot over Jessup and into the Lowestoft net.

Suddenly a cup upset was on the cards and Histon were heading towards the £3,000 prize money.

Henderson thumped a header wide from a Forshaw cross from the left in the 72nd minute but three minutes later the visitors should have wrapped up the points.

Rory McAuley saw his clearance closed down by Chambers-Shaw and the striker tore through the middle, only for his attempted lob to float over Jessup's crossbar.

Chambers-Shaw did make it 2-0 in the 83rd minute though – after a nightmare moment for Lowestoft keeper Jessup.

Allen's corner looked to be drifting into the keeper's gloves but, with rain falling, the ball squeezed from his grasp and Chambers-Shaw steered his strike from the edge of the box through a crowded penalty area.

The afternoon then went from bad to worse for the Trawlerboys when Henderson was shown his second yellow – just six minutes after his first for a late challenge – when reacting angrily to a challenge on Barker from Ourtibour, who was also booked.

As the rain started to fall heavily in the closing moments, it all made for a miserable 2016 edition of Non-League Day for Lowestoft, as they bowed out of the FA Cup in disappointing fashion.

Lowestoft: Jessup; Barker, Cole, McAuley, Blake-Tracy; Rossi Jarvis (C), Smith; Marsden (Fitzgerald 80), Spillane, Henderson; Forshaw. Unused subs: Waite (GK), Josh Glover (GK), Deeks.

Histon: Conroy; Gould, Bexfield, York (C), Sibanda (Watson 31); Hyem, Traynier (Ourtibour 12), Clayton, McGregor; Chambers-Shaw. Allen. Unused subs: Chapman (GK), Unwin, Gwynne.

Attendance: 407

Referee: Ryan Head

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter