FA Cup and Thurlow Nunn League: Goals galore but Thetford Town’s dreams are shattered

FA Cup - Wroxham v Fakenham Town at Trafford Park. Photo : Steve Adams

FA Cup - Wroxham v Fakenham Town at Trafford Park. Photo : Steve Adams - Credit: Steve Adams

Thetford Town's interim management team got off to a losing start in what will surely go down as one of the most bizarre games in this season's FA Cup.

While only at the preliminary round stage, the chances are rare that a match will feature eight goals - all scored in the opening 36 minutes. That's exactly what the crowd of 276 at Mundford Road saw yesterday afternoon as Town – with coach Dave Skipp and player Ian Fancett in temporary charge following the departure of Mark Scott – went down 5-3 to visiting Bury Town.

Noel Aitkens put the visitors ahead after just four minutes with Ollie Hughes adding another two minutes later. Bradley Barber and Tevan Allen then doubled the scoreline - and still there were only 12 minutes on the clock. The hosts pulled one back through Oliver Standley on 16 minutes and added another on 20 minutes. But with 34 minutes gone Remi Garrett extended Bury's lead to 5-2.

The tally was completed nine minutes before half-time when Shaun Hunsdon scored Thetford's third in a quite remarkable match.

Wroxham earned a tie against King's Lynn Town after beating Fakenham 3-2, while Kirkley & Pakefield were 3-0 winners away to Whitton United, thanks to goals from Kyle Baker, Ross King and Cameron Brooks.

You may also want to watch:

Wisbech Town's involvement is over after they lost 1-0 at home to Holbeach United.

In the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division there was disappointment for Gorleston, beaten 2-1 at home by Hadleigh United. Promoted Swaffham Town drew 2-2 with visiting Haverhill Rovers.

Most Read

Hadleigh went ahead after 12 minutes, with Gorleston equalising in the 78th minute through Ally McKenna. Hadleigh got a second after a goalmouth scramble, with home players furious the official did not flag for offside. Manager Ricci Butler was sent from the bench and Chris Sandford booked. Their feelings were compounded soon after the restart when claims for handball in the area were waved away.

Swaffham were behind after five minutes against Haverhill, before a brace by George Hutton made it 2-1 at the interval, only for the visitors to earn a point in the 66th minute.

In the First Division, King's Lynn Town Reserves are third after a 3-1 win at Cornard United. Great Yarmouth Town are fifth after a 2-0 win at March Town United. The Bloaters have won three out of three this season, and have yet to concede a goal.

Downham Town came out on top in the derby clash at Dereham Town Reserves, winning 1-0, while Diss drew 1-1 at home to AFC Sudbury Reserves.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus