Ex-Norwich City hitman Ryan Jarvis joins non-league Lowestoft Town after being released by York City
- Credit: Archant © 2004
Lowestoft Town have pulled off a massive coup by beating a host of Football League clubs to the signature of Ryan Jarvis.
The former Norwich City striker – who burst onto the scene as a teenager with the Canaries in 2003 – has been a free agent since being released by League Two York City in May. Despite being given opportunities to remain in the professional game, the Fakenham-raised 28-year-old tonight decided to pen a two-year deal with the National League North Trawlerboys in a shock move which will see him reunited with his brother Rossi and other former City youngsters.
Blues' boss Ady Gallagher said: 'It's an unbelievable opportunity we didn't expect to get. He had offers from League Two clubs but he's decided to come to us for his own reasons, which are clearly not financial. I've been incredibly impressed with his attitude in wanting to help us progress.'
The England youth international's career at Carrow Road failed to take off despite a stunning Premier League strike against Liverpool in 2004. Since his departure four years' later he has gone on to enjoy permanent spells with Leyton Orient, Walsall, Torquay and York – where he failed to score in just nine appearances last term.
'It has given everybody a lift, including the staff and the fans,' added Gallagher, who this week lost the services of key central defender Sam Gaughran.
You may also want to watch:
'The players are excited by the prospect of playing alongside someone of Ryan's profile and ability.'
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 3 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 4 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 5 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 6 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 7 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 8 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town
- 9 Norwich pub to temporarily close this summer because of 'pingdemic'
- 10 Twin Bakes sell out of treats during first pop-up sale