Evo-Stik Premier Division: Droylsden 1, King’s Lynn Town 2
- Credit: IAN BURT
King's Lynn came from behind to record a hard-fought victory at basement-club Droylsden last night, relegating them in the process.
A Jake Jones strike with 15 minutes to play was enough to resign the Bloods, who haven't won a game all season, to the drop. The three-points did not come without a scare, however, as Droylsden took a shock lead into half-time.
The Lynn defence were caught off-guard by Jake Parker's long ball over the top of the back-line, which was picked up by the pacey Sam Madeley who slotted the hosts into the lead on 30 minutes.
Rattled from the goal, Lynn pushed hard to make immediate amends and thought the equaliser had arrived on the stroke of half-time, but Jones' effort was ruled out after a late flag from the linesman for offside.
Manager Gary Setchell opted for a change in front-line at the break and brought on Rob Duffy and Massiah McDonald, who both made an impact. Duffy hit the bar and had another strike ruled out for offside, while McDonald's header was pushed away by the 'keeper.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors' breakthrough came with 20 minutes to play when from a David Bell corner, Ryan Fryatt found himself free on the edge of the six-yard box to volley home. And within minutes, Lynn took a deserved lead. Jones picked up the ball on the edge of the box and was given the time by the Droylsden defence to fire a shot on goal, which trickled under 'keeper Craig Dootson and into the net.
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 3 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 4 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 5 Report into woman's murder by jealous ex: 'Employers must do more'
- 6 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 7 Homes plan to be revealed for former infant school
- 8 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 9 Former village pub for sale as home
- 10 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
Droylsden (4-4-2): Dootson, McNamara, Hibbert, Lynch (Knowles, 53), Murphy, Sharry, Parker, Freakes, Madeley (Wharton, 45), Rouse, Matthews (Gonzales, 79). Subs not used: McLoughlin, Fortuna.
Booked: Rouse, Wharton.
Goals: Madeley (30).
Lynn (4-3-3): Timms, R. Clarke, Yong, Lee, Fryatt, Mills, Hall, Bell, Mulready (McDonald, 45), Thomson (Duffy, 45), Jones (E. Clarke, 80).
Booked: Fryatt, Bell, McDonald, Hall.
Goals: Fryatt (68), Jones (74).