Evo-Stik Premier Division: Barwell 1, King’s Lynn Town 3

Lynn produced their second brilliant comeback in three days – but this time they made it count.

In a game of three penalties, Barwell missed one and scored another in the first 45 minutes before a brace from in-form Dan Jacob – either side of a George Thomson spot-kick – helped Lynn pick up their first away win of the season.

Gary Setchell was after an improved display – especially defensively – following Saturday's 3-3 draw at home to Stocksbridge Park Steels – which had seen Lynn come back from 2-0 down to concede a late, late equaliser.

But that certainly didn't materialise initially as Ryan Clarke tried to hack the ball clear inside his own area only to connect with Luke Barlone's midriff. Danny Newton stepped up to take the spot-kick, however his weakly struck effort was saved down to his left by Danny Gay.

Phil Gulliver cleared off his own line to deny Newton as the men from The Walks conceded a rare chance. It was the same at the other end where it took until the 39th minute for Lynn to finally have their first shot on target, which Andy Hall could only trickle to Liam Castle.

The game looked destined to remain deadlocked with half-time looming until Barwell won their second penalty of the opening 45.

Jordan Yong did everything right in covering round. But he did everything wrong in diving into a challenge and upending Tom Weale. This time, Barlone showed how it was done by smashing the ball straight down the middle of the goal to put his men in front.

Most Read

A cracking free-kick from Thomson nearly helped reduce the arrears a few minutes after the re-start but an unmarked Ross Watson failed to connect with his header.

Lynn's lively opening continued as Shane Tolley's brilliant half-volley forced Castle into a fine stop.

But a deserved equaliser was eventually gifted to them just after the hour mark when Guy Hadland slipped over and presented Tolley with a golden chance. He could only find the post, but Jacob didn't waste his opportunity and found the net as he buried the rebound.

The former St Neots Town ace nearly bagged his second in the 78th minute but his well-hit shot, after Hall's clever run and cut back, was palmed away by the hosts' goalie.

Richard Lavery stupidly hauled down Jacob to give Thomson the chance to put Lynn in front. And he duly obliged by side-footing into the bottom right corner.

But there was still more action to come as Gay made a great save to deny Lavery before Jacob scored for the seventh time in three matches to wrap things up.

Barwell (4-3-3): Castle, Lower, Gudger, Hadland, Albrighton, Lavery, Weale, Brehon, Barlone, Gaunt (Brown-Hill, 67), Newton. Subs not used: Blakely, Hood, Bates, Barnett. Booked: Newton, Brown-Hill. Goal: Barlone (pen, 44). Missed pen: Newton (5)

Lynn (4-3-3): Gay, R. Clarke, Gulliver, Lee, Yong, Hall (Bunting, 87), Quigley, Watson (Spriggs, 61), Thomson, Jacob, Tolley (Mulready, 88). Subs not used: Butt, Fryatt. Booked: Lee. Goal: Jacob (62, 90+4), Thomson (pen, 85).

Referee: G. Taylor.

Attendance: 294